VanGrim (through Zanarkand AB) Contributor Proposal (18 July - 17 September)

VanGrim Contributor Proposal

Background and self-reflection:

The DXgov squad, which I am part of, has continuously focused on implementing DAVI, auditing smart contracts, and strengthening our QA processes, during the last period. I wrote a self-reflection on my contribution and the project in this post I am now making a new contributor proposal for two months following that post.

For the next period, DXgov will continuously work with DAVI, and finish up our dxdao-contracts issues and start working on v2.

Proposed Scope of Contribution:

Goals:

• Continue to work on the current roadmap of DXgov, which mainly consists of finishing DAVI. In the foreseeable future that means fixing small bugs, design issues, and other related issues, as seen here
  • Finish up our dxdao-contracts issues and bugs to start working on dxdao-contracts v2. I hope to be more involved in smart contract development and help out @augustol in this matter.
  • Start planning and developing Orbis.
  • As a full-time contributor, be more active in DXdao both when it comes to development but also in governing the DAO. We’re entering tough times, so everyone’s help is needed.
  • Take more initiative to develop our ways of working, which include more testing, mob sessions, and tech planning sessions.

Responsibilities:

• Continue to develop DAVI and smart contracts related to DXgov.
  • Work together with the QA team to ensure that the entire app gets coverage and tests as needed.
  • Continue taking on issues related to smart contracts development.
  • Set aside more time to review PRs from the team to ensure that everyone gets a good developer experience.
  • Be an active participant in forming more transparent ways of working (working agreements, technical decisions, mob sessions, sprint planning, etc.) in DXgov.
  • Be communicative and involved in DXgov’s mission during sprint planning, daily standups, DXdao meetings, etc.
  • Set aside time to help govern DXdao (from voting on proposals to discussing topics and helping/starting initiatives.

Time commitment:

• Full time (40hr/week)

Experience Level:

• Level 4 (After talking with both @ross and @Melanie I feel ready to raise my level from level 3 to level 4)

Compensation

• $6000 ($6000 * 2) to be sent half on the first payment proposal, and half on the second payment proposal
  • $4000 ($4000 * 2) DXD - Vested for three years with a 1-year cliff starting the 18 July 2022.
    First payment proposal: 0.1667% REP.
    Second payment proposal: 0.1667% REP

Work Experience:

• 2+ years of experience building applications on React, TypeScript, Node.js, and many back-end-related frameworks.
  • 3+ years as a privacy lawyer. Worked with a variety of clients ranging from startups to Fortune 500 companies.
  • Completed pull requests for DXvote, DXdao Contracts, and DAVI

Previous Contributor proposals:

6 Likes

This proposal is now live on-chain here

2 Likes

Retro

During the last two months, DxGov has been focusing a lot on getting DAVI out for closed beta (e.g., “finishing DAVI” previously Guilds), which we succeeded in launching during this period. The closed beta can be seen here :rocket:.

Despite the bearish circumstances in the market and DxDao’s existential concerns, looking back, there are a lot of moments to celebrate during these two months.

Code highlights

• One of the features I had as a goal during this period was to implement and plan for orbis.club. Orbis is a social layer on-chain that we will be using for DAVI’s discussions going forward. I did the first implementation, and other squad members have followed up on this. It is still not entirely ready for release, but here’s a sneak peek:

• I also managed to implement one of our core actions in DAVI, namely, updating the ENS content hash directly in DAVI. This is an important feature going forward (not least for our release cycles).

• One of the behemoths of this period that took several weeks was the big transition from our hooks using ether-swr to wagmi. The reason for this shift was to increase and optimize the user experience as well as simplify our code structure. The process took some time, but I am sure it will provide a much smoother experience going forward.

• Lastly, I had a chance to refactor the smart contract code for how we’re handling REP. This will be more interesting when we’re starting to build upon and utilize these smart contracts (such as Subgraph and so on).

Went well

• I think what went well is that the team felt more united and effective. We had a few sprints where we crushed story points and issues. With me going full-time, I also had time to be even more engaged in the products we’re building and not only “build,” so to speak.

• Together with QA, @ross, and the development team, we started to sketch out more processes needed in the future. We had a few brainstorming sessions talking about our ways of working on a higher level. Those discussions are turning into many of the action points you will see during these coming two months, such as our release cycles, dynamic roadmap, and so on.

• Going full-time for me also meant that my time management was much more efficient. The number of critical and prioritized issues that I managed to take on is a testament to how important the shift to only focus on one thing is.

Could have done better

• We had long been pushing the first version of DAVI. That, in connection with us not being communicative enough, made the DAO understandably a bit impatient about how we were handling our product. We have reflected upon this, and going forward, you will see both a steady flow of releases and a roadmap which the end-users can interact with.

• I am currently not reviewing in the capacity I feel like I should. Even though I feel I am still quite new to the squad, both Tomas and Dino started after I did. I should, therefore, definitely step up when it comes to reviewing code so that it does not turn out to be a blocker for the team.

Compensation

• $6000 ($6000 * 2) second half
  • $4000 ($4000 * 2) DXD second half
  • 0.1667% REP second half

NOTE: These services are provided through DevX AG (@DevX) e.g. devx.eth.

Completed work

DXvote, DXdao Contracts , and DAVI

2 Likes