Ross Neilson Worker Proposal 18/4/2022-18/6/2022

Background:

After quite a lot of process reflections and improvements over the last period DXgov has come out a lot stronger and we have a lot of exciting releases coming up. Guilds, of course, being the main one but not only this, as we get the dxvote contracts back from audit we are aiming to have a large release at the end of Q2 also. There are a lot of exciting things down the line and a good period with no major conferences for us to get things shipped.

Goals:

• Get both dxvote and guilds sent off to audit
  • Release guilds leading with swpr guilds - coordinate with swapr and dxvoice
    • Social media build up educating people around what guilds solves and improves
  • The aim for the refactor (second stage of the roadmap) is to have it launched by end of Q2 which is around the end of this proposal, so if not launched it should be very close to
    • UI redesign (efficient reuse of guilds components)
    • Cache refactor (Modularise, simplify and make faster)
  • Begin planning governance 2.0 in more detail
  • Have more discussions and brainstorming around improvements to 2.0, especially regarding on-ramps and aspects other DAOs may find important
  • Help with twitter spaces educating around governance

Responsibilities:

• Managing both production as well as a new beta deployment
  • Balancing project lead responsibilities with development work
  • Leading DXvote calls and representing the project in DXdao calls
  • Finishing current development efforts and laying the groundwork for gov 2.0 according to 2022 roadmap
  • Coordinating between different teams in DXdao for guilds and feature requests, etc
  • Managing project and sprints to ensure the team is moving forward in the most efficient and prioritised way to deliver our goals
  • Constant discussion and thinking through what certain decisions could mean for gov 2.0 and the governance dynamic after&during release
  • Taking an overall large part in the direction of DXdao

Reflection on last worker period:

Did well:

• Development on guilds is coming to completion. We now have the majority of major features complete with just a few final additions.

• Smart contract development - With the help of @AugustoL we now have most of the team actively contributing to smart contract development. Improving processes and reliance on one developer as well as being on track to get dxvote and guilds contracts away for audit. Still a way to go but an amazing start.

• Reflecting & improving - Coming out of Denver we had a lot of recent changes in contributors to the team I don’t think I was working very effectively, feeling a little overwhelmed and scatterbrained. With the help of the entire team, we had incredibly constructive retrospectives on how we work with great suggestions around the availability of information, sprints, discussions and more. After taking time to focus on how to fix this and chatting with other Project managers (thanks @Zett and @0xVenky) I think I have come out more able to manage DXgov and the team has been doing a great job.

• DXgov features - There have been some features I had thought out quite some time ago for DXgov’s products that could help set it apart from the competition and the iteration and execution of these with the team have been super exciting to see. I really can’t wait to demo all of these to you shortly.

• Proposal creation UX - The first was an expansion of the ENS ownership idea to more configurations, the main one being a rich data configuration for contracts meaning that we can provide a far greater user experience for people creating proposals than is possible with just the solidity data as a lot of expertise goes into understanding and creating proposals.
    • Social layer - The next is the social layer of governance that has been long dreamed of by many in DXdao and with the recent recruitment of @CarlB who came to us via Denver’s hackathon it is coming soon. A lot of thought, prototyping and design have been put into this coming feature to make it more than just a forum whilst being as decentralised but usable as possible.
  • Tech planning - The suggestion (I believe from Kenny) to run tech planning sessions was an excellent one and we have had many successful sessions that helped iterate on ideas and spread awareness of future plans. With this way of working we have also started planning in more detail the next step of the roadmap, refactoring. Miro board - Sign up | Miro | Online Whiteboard for Visual Collaboration github discussions - Discussions · DXgovernance/dxvote · GitHub

• DXDenver - I think at each conference I get better and better at this and this was no exception. It’s always great fun introducing people to DXdao that have no real concept of what real decentralisation actually looks like and what it can do. The hackathon being a huge success and having people come and ask questions on top of what we have built was also super exciting.

Did ok:

• Public speaking - I did my first public speaking event in Denver on a panel with @Powers and @AugustoL on governance 2.0. I was pretty nervous but thankful to be on a stage with two veterans. We were pretty rushed for time and I was underprepared but I am excited to doing more things like this and improving over time. I was also on a panel for swarm’s online hackathon speaking about governance with some of the most well known early people to the DAO space including Matan, Griff Green and more. Most of the topics went very philosophical but it was a fun experience.
  • DXloan idea - Not made public anywhere but I was working on a proposal for an under collateralized loan for contributors using REP and vested DXD. This is something we have talked about previously but never really moved much with due to it being quite difficult. For now, I think I’m putting it on hold for a variety of reasons but it was a good experience building a proposal and getting great feedback on it.

Could have done better:

• Transparency - So far guilds have still very much been under wrap with the extent of what others see being the designs at most. Of course, being fully transparent isn’t super simple when the product is being built from the ground up but I think it’s around the time now when we should be getting more feedback, especially as the UI will be reused for DXvote.
  • Onboarding - Although our two new developers, @CarlB and @vangrim, have been doing an incredibly good job I don’t think I can take much credit for it. Partially bad timing with EthDenver as well as me just being a little distracted and unprepared for onboarding more people. There is a lot more I can do to better prepare for future onboarding (although we should be good resource wise for a while).

Timeframe: 2 months

Compensation: Level 6

Salary -

I am planning on setting up a company in Portugal possibly some time in this worker proposal period and so will update with details if this happens.

1st month -

$8000 DAI

$6000 DXD

0.1667% REP

2nd month:

$8000 DAI

$6000 DXD

0.1667% REP

11 Likes

I like working with ross.

9 Likes

I like working with you too Augusto :blush:

2 Likes

Reflection on last worker period:

Did well:

• Refactoring - A major focus of this period was refactoring our new UI into something more modular and better written that could support multiple governance contracts with the same UI and great UX. We did a lot of work planning this and I am really pleased with the discussions we had as a team and the end result. We have a clear file structure, well abstracted code, unit test and even storybook.
  • Onboarding - During the last period, DXgov onboarded another developer, Dino. He has super smoothly onboarded and already is adding great value to the team. Although admittedly I cannot take all the credit for this one.
  • Documenting - Documentation of everything DXgov is doing I feel has been far better, the notion is now back in a state I am happy with and fewer conversations and decisions are being made in keybase chats.
  • Project-DAVI - Splitting up our applications into DAVI and DXvote-legacy I believe will help a lot with people’s understanding and eventual branding of DAVI into a real product. Despite being something we should maybe have done from the start I am happy we made the decision.
  • Partnerships - I have been in talks with a couple of teams both about technology we can utilise in DAVI for the social layer as well as potential users of the governance we are building, both of which will be important for DXgov.

Did ok:

• Planning - I think overall I have been putting more time into planning DXgov and steering it in the right direction but there is still so much I feel I could do here. The Q2 report is likely the most obvious example of this and something I want to do more of to improve transparency and accountability.
  • QA - We began onboarding QA into DXgov only recently but I still think I should be spending some more time here.

Could have done better:

• Time management - I had this issue previously a few months ago where I felt like I was being very reactive to issues as they occurred and not making much headroom with other tasks. I managed to get better at this for a while but feel more and more like I am slipping back into working like this. Selecting a single task to work on and getting back into note-taking I think should help concentrate my mind and prevent me from context switching around a million issues.
5 Likes