Ross Neilson Worker Proposal 18/2/2022-18/4/2022
This proposal is starting right over EthDenver making it a little awkward timing as I’m sure there will be lots to add to this after the week.
Work over the last period went very well on DXgov focused on guilds with some setbacks in regards to the exected launch date mostly due to outside issues regarding audits. Denver should be an important time for the team with lots of us here together and a lot of things to discuss around gov 2.0 implementation and the audit interim report as well as generally improving the development workflow for smart contracts.
Hopefully over this next worker period we will have the opportunity to test and fully prepare for the eventual audit report and SWPR launch.
- Help oversee the fixes and full audit of DXvote contracts
- Have users test and provide feedback on guilds
- Use guilds for a few testing use cases (ms replacement, initiative dao etc)
- Depending on audit progress, release swpr guild (if audit not ready then at least be ready with development work)
- Begin work on the next part of the 2022 roadmap - DXvote 1.1 starting refactor and major redesigns to match the guild level of UX in our main governance application
- Onboarding new developers and allowing for current developers to continue growing and honing their craft on DXgov
- Further spread discussion and awareness on what DXgov is doing - EthDenver and beyond
- Manage releases and cache updates for DXgov products
- Balancing project lead responsibilities with development work
- Leading DXvote calls and representing the project in DXdao calls
- Moving DXvote product development in the right direction according to roadmap and requirements
- Limit bugs and production problems as much as possible
- Coordinating between different teams in DXdao for guilds and feature requests, etc
- Managing project and sprints to ensure the team is moving forward in the most efficient and prioritised way to deliver our goals
- Constant discussion and thinking through what certain decisions could mean for gov 2.0 and the governance dynamic after&during release
- Taking an overall large part in the direction of DXdao
Reflection on last worker period:
As expected the last worker period of mine was a little bit of an interesting time. We of course had the holidays which I was mostly working over and then I spent a lot of time moving to Lisbon.
- Keeping up with everything - Despite having a busy time moving countries I think I still did a decent job of keeping on top of all my usual tasks and dont think much was really affected as I found time to work at close to my usual hours
- Taking a break - With moving to Lisbon my girlfriend also had a chance to come over to visit and have not seen her in over a year I took a week off. I was glad to be able to actually keep myself away from work and since I put more work in the previous week everything was prepared for DXgov to continue working smoothly.
- Progress on guilds - I’m really pleased with how work is continuing on guilds and we made a lot of leaps in this time period. We went through a few iterations of …
- Recap presentation -
- Documentation - Although not live as of right now, there will be a large update to DXdocs soon that will include a large amount of DXgov documentation which I spent a good amount of time compiling. This should act as a good resource to point community members to as well as helping faster onboard new contributors to the DXgov team.
- DXgov esports - Although Dave did all the heavy lifting with this it was nice to be along for the ride and help brainstorm the huge potential the Copenhagen flames sponsorship
- Finally, after it being a note in my proposals for essentially the entirety of my time at DXdao, I finally have made a merged change into some smart contracts. Although I have actually been gaining a lot of confidence in solidity simply by understanding guilds and the governance contracts, actually writing changes was a good way of putting it into practice and hopefully, I can do some more changes to come.
- DXvote maintenance - We have kept up with fairly regular updates and releases to DXvote despite it not being the main focus of most of the team whilst guilds have been in development. There have still been a few bugs and issues occurring but I think they have been relatively well dealt with all things considered. However, I am looking forward to having guilds shipped and being able to allocate more resources to DXvote 1.1.
Could have done better:
- I’m sad we weren’t able to do much to be able to help Lulli stay contributing to DXgov as he is an amazing developer but hopefully he will be able to return in a few months.
- Wallet schemes - The ongoing saga of getting wallet schemes working on xdai has been a somewhat tiring one with a good few bumps along the way. Due to the timing of the interim audit report, we have decided to further postpone the use of the new architecture on gnosis chain since it will need redeployment once issues have been addressed. Not without benefit though, this experience has raised a lot of problems with our development process that we will soon be fixing.
Timeframe: 2 months
Compensation: Level 6
1st month - 4 days off after Denver 85% (-1 day a month holiday)