[Proposal Draft] DXdao workshop / Team building in ETHLisbon / DXretreat

Hey Everyone.
Been mentioning this a few times in the chat.
For the past couple of weeks I’ve been in discussion with Kate and Francesca from GreaterThan to organize a team building workshop that focuses and on the strategy and tools needed to make DXdao succeed.

The original prompt:

DXdao has been operating for nearly two years now, and there are varying degrees of success, a lot has been done on the processes and “infrastructure” of how things are done, the culture, community, and who we are. I think we doubled down on the idea of an open organization, the real idea of decentralization, and became exceptionally good at taking criticism and improving ourselves from outside feedback.

The vision and long term outlook of DXdao is relatively clear and concise. What I do think we are missing the middle layer of social and organizational tools for strategy and efficiency. By nature of the organization being a DAO, there is no direct hierarchy and at times initiatives are pulled in different directions, which is not always bad! However, I do think we need to polish our mid term strategy, define and formalize leadership pockets, and set goals and objectives for the mid term. My bias leans towards yearly DXdao OK-Rs and quarterly squad OKRs (with incentives!) but I’m open for other frameworks and suggestions.

Luckily for us both Kate, Francesca, and Elena know of DXdao, understand the challenges of DAOs, and know how to build and structure around it.

The proposal (6,500 €, 2 days, 2 facilitators)

These are the highlights of the proposal for the full proposal check this out

Context & Objectives

DXdao is an example of a decentralized autonomous organization that is ahead of the curve, delivering products and stewarding key infrastructure on behalf of its members. The DAO has been operating for over a year now, and a lot has been done on the processes and “infrastructure” of how things are done, the culture, community, and who they are. The vision and long term outlook of DXdao is relatively clear and concise. However, there are gaps in the middle layer of social and organizational tools for strategy and efficiency. There are some effects of the tyranny of structurelessness being experienced, those with strong social, political capital pull the DAO in the direction they think is best.

An emergent strategy session will help surface and give air to all tactics and enable strategic direction to be set in a way that is not shadowy and siloed nor top down. Outcomes will be a strategy that is clear, compelling and collectively owned.

Alongside the strategy session, we will facilitate a session on distributed leadership and accountability setting so that there can be more effectiveness in the DAO in delivering strategy.

A team building session will involve facilitating activities and exercises to build trust, insights and perspective amongst DAO members and result in stronger relationships and culture.

Approach

We facilitate processes that are participatory and enable us to respond and adapt to the needs of the organisation as they emerge. Our work always has a dual focus: supporting you to achieve your objectives and building capacity in team members in the organisation by developing their knowledge and skills.

To best achieve the aims outlined above, Greaterthan proposes:

• Running 2-3 interviews and planning sessions with 3 or so members of the DAO.
  • Co-facilitating the Team Building and Strategy 2021 workshop
  • Debrief & advice on post-session follow up.
  • DXdao will be responsible for all event coordination, communications and session note-taking (harvest).

Offer

Workshop discovery, design and facilitation (2 facilitators): 6,500
Price includes travel expenses and excludes VAT.

Please feel free to add comments, suggestions, and feedback.

If all is good I will make a proposal early next week on the xDAI base.

Stay tuned for a dedicated telegram group to discuss with the GreaterThanX team.

6 Likes

I cant seem to access the google doc. Can you open it up for everyone?

4 Likes

As team building I had in mind to do something fun outdoors, not a workshop, to know the rest of the team outside work. Maybe we can do both and organize a team activity between dxretreat and eth lisbon.

• Running 2-3 interviews and planning sessions with 3 or so members of the DAO.
    How much time would it take?

“A team building session will involve facilitating activities and exercises to build trust, insights and perspective amongst DAO members and result in stronger relationships and culture.” Sounds very corporate.

I dont have access to the public document, If the document is not public and accessible for few days online you shouldnt submit a proposal @nylon

I think we should do something, I like you are taking the initiative, but In my experience based on one company retreat that I organized in my previous startup first of all they should be fun, and time efficient but not too strictly organized. I dont know greater than X but it looks very corporate and thats what I want to avoid a typical corporate boring retreat :grimacing:

Let us know when we can see the complete document proposal.

5 Likes

I have 12 laser tag guns and some inflatables from a side gig I was working on… I can check them on the plane and we can all play laser tag for an activity if people agree that would be fun @fluidDrop @nylon @AugustoL!!
:gun::sunglasses:

4 Likes

2 Likes

Apologies, there were permission issues and I simply duplicated the doc.

updated the link in the original post + linked here again.

This is not either / or, we should do both. The point with these workshops is to have focuses, dedicated and managed time to work on strategy and process building. These are two concentrated days out of 7-10 days planned?

Yes later tag is awesome and helps us get connected (and the team opposite to me will lose :smiling_imp:), but it won’t help us build a process to decide on what products we should pursue, what we should give up, how to we measure their success, and more :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I agree, dedicating 2 days out of 7-10 days seems reasonable and that it won’t hinder our team building. Besides being excited about all the fun activities and meeting all of you guys, Im equally excited about discussing and brainstorming ideas about big picture stuff and issues we face as such innovative organisation and ways to move forward. I haven’t talked with anyone who has been through this, but would love to hear experiences and how effective was it. Maybe workshops mentioned with people who have done this before and have structured approach can be very beneficial.

I like all the stuff mentioned in the doc. But I would like to hear more about their approach and how they plan to do these workshops in more detail. Is there possibility to have them on call so we can ask questions? Also if we decide to go through with this my suggestion is to have these workshops toward the end of our retreat once we got to know each other…

4 Likes

I looked at the proposal doc, looks good. I would vote for it once it is proposed on chain.

2 Likes

FYI I accidently linked the wrong greaterthan org

This is the correct one http://Greaterthan.works
Also Francesca will join the call this Monday to answer any questions we might have.

Cc @Violet

2 Likes

The proposal is now live on xDAI

https://augustol.github.io/dxvote/#/xdai/proposal/0x87622560887f10095b4210d3ea07a88588ebdf777e3618e1726f099463aeb1cc