Private Voting Module

Aztec Protocol:

“The AZTEC protocol enables the creation of generic confidential digital assets. We picked DAI to start with but with the press of a button the AZTEC protocol can be applied to any ERC-20 token. It also enables the construction of purely confidential assets that don’t have any kind of ERC-20 token equivalent. No extra cryptographic circuits required, no additional trusted setup processes needed. For the first time ever, it’s possible to create confidential digital assets on Ethereum, obtaining the immutability and decentralization benefits of public blockchains without sacrificing privacy.”

Keep Network:

Aragon Secret Voting:

State Channel Blind Signatures by Bo Hendo

I’ve been stuck on this question, it’s a really tough one. One of the hardest problems in the space and nobody seems to have a good answer to it… If we do votes on Quorum, we’d have to manage our own separate chain & then figure out how to get the chains talking to each other, if we got this route it seems best to wait for Polkadot to publish their cross-chain communication solution but idk if managing a separate chain would have a good cost/benefit. Honestly, zk proofs are black magic to me. Not the slightest clue how they work or what they’re capable of. I stumbled upon something called “blind signatures” that I think falls under the “computation over encrypted data” category but this still requires trusted administrators and has potential to cost a lot of gas. Another option I’ve just barely began to explore might be something similar to blind signatures in a state channel. State channels have the massive benefit of allowing participants to vote without costing them any gas. The 0 gas price might be a big enough benefit to explore this option & the off chain computation opens up the ability experiment w more computationally expensive solutions like blind signature… There’s a lot to think about here Re blind signatures:

Enigma Integration:

Qs by @Pat:

(1) anonymous reputation voting within holographic consensus

(2) anonymous predicting/staking within holographic consensus

(3) anonymous voting not related to holographic consensus (such as an election or multiple choice)

(4) a private DAO with some sort of permissions structure hiding proposals and budget from non reputation holders

As:

(1) anonymous reputation voting within holographic consensus
“reputation voting” here-- does it mean reputation-weighted voting, or voting on someone’s reputation (what their rep should be?)

(2) anonymous predicting/staking within holographic consensus

the direction of a stake could be anonymous. The degree could be obfuscated, but isn’t de-facto anonymous (b/c value is being transferred)

(3) anonymous voting not related to holographic consensus (such as an election or multiple choice)
This should be straightforward

(4) a private DAO with some sort of permissions structure hiding proposals and budget from non reputation holders
This is interesting. I will have to think more about it. Enigma provides both storage and compute, (and a private state of stored data). Access control comes for free. However, depending on the nature of the proposal it may not be the most efficient way to share.

Regarding what we do vs. pure ZKsnark voting, we don’t have an executive summary, but I can share a simple diagram comparing private computation techniques.
privacy-preserving compute overview

Using Quorem by @Eyal

I may have an easy solution for the privacy issue. I bet Arc can be easily deployed on Quorum, which is an Ethereum fork. “Deployed” here is simply the W3 the system is connected to, i.e. a Quorum node instead of Ethereum. The benefit is that now each transaction can be either public, or private for a subset of nodes. Transparency, and partially decentralization is not completely lost because nodes that don’t have access to the full transaction still have a hash of it, and certain transactions can still be completely public by going to the Ethereum network.

I think this can open up business opportunities because you can offer companies a turn key solution for a DAO that is private or public with any granularity they choose, and the beauty of this solution is that it would require minimal dev time

1 Like