I am still discovering many aspects of Genesis DAO community. I’ve used 50-60$/hour in my first 2 proposals as I thought it was the standard used across the board. But then I got several people saying they disagree with this rate & realized there was a lot of different opinions on this hot topic.
What we are trying to solve here is something many other organizations already solved in the past decades (centuries?).
Models I’ve come across in my career:
Pay per hour
Pay per task (i.e. milestone based)
Pay per task + per hour
The “Pay per hour” model is kinda nice for both parties, especially if the estimated work time required can be precise enough. The hourly rate has to be agreed on & can be adjusted according to the skills required.
The “Pay per task” model is very good if a certain work is very hard to value “per hour”. For instance, for the-said task you will access your incredible network because of years of experience in a given field.
So far we’ve only used these 2 models in Genesis DAO (correct me if I’m wrong). Regardless of the model you choose, I recommend 2 things:
- never do more than 30% of the work before the proposal passes; if it doesn’t pass, you don’t get rewarded)
- try to make the proposal have the narrowest focus as possible, so your estimation can be as precise as possible (that’s best for both parties). For instance, Polkadao capped proposals to 1000 USD to enforce this. Also, try to never bundle 2 different topics in 1 proposal.
What would be great for new & existing pollinators is to have a better idea of what they should request for the work they do (i.e. price brackets), regardless of the model they decide to use.
I propose to address the common topics for which we have/want proposals (fee free to suggest more):
- Events: workshop, meetup, hackathon, conference
- Content creation: article, podcast, video
- Product development: Code, UX, Mockups, Design
- Biz Dev: Onboarding new pollinators, Onboarding new DAOs
Note: I am here “only” addressing the topic of reward in USD worth equivalent, if you are want to reading & debate about reputation please go to the “Genesis - Let’s Talk about Rep” thread