Governance 2.0 Working Group

The 5 Point Plan was approved by REP holders last month. Point 5 was related to DXdao governance improvements, namely:

Governance 1.X - improvements to the current DAOstack governance structure

• DXD guild
  • Locking for REP
  • Gasless voting
  • Signalling and consensus improvements

Governance 2.0 - migration plan for next generation governance stack for DXdao

• Layer 2 and a post ETH1.0 world
  • Long-term incentive alignment between REP & DXD
  • Decentralized & sovereign tools for DXdao governance, product, development and community

There has been progress on several of the “Governance 1.X” initiatives. A clone of DXdao was deployed on xDai and Blockrocket is doing testing now on DXD/ERC20 guilds.

The Governance 2.0 segment, meanwhile, has seen a healthy discussion across Keybase, DAOtalk and on calls. Delphi Digital presented research on a governance upgrade, while DAOstack has explored how governance scales to Layer 2. These discussions have been helpful, but there needs to be a more sustained approach. In my view, this is best achieved through a DAO-sanctioned working group that researches these long-term strategic problems and presents possible solutions to the community.

What does this look like? I’m not sure, but I imagine it starts with a Signal Proposal that defines the scope, resources, and potential participants. I’ve tried to lay out a first draft of this below. Feedback is welcome.

Scope:

Investigate inconsistencies and drawbacks in DXdao’s current governance architecture and present solution(s) that address these and create a long-term foundation for DXdao to grow and prosper.

Governance issues to address:

• Incentivize good governance for REP holders
  • DXD and REP long-term alignment
  • Provide guidance on a multi-chain & Layer 2 world

Existing governance properties to preserve:

• Anti-plutocracy - voting power cannot be bought
  • REP (Reputation) is on-chain recognition of contributions to DXdao
  • DXD is the financial primitive of DXdao
  • Security and sovereignty
  • Growth and decentralization

Participants:

• Open to all DXdao community members
  • DXdao “core contributors” (defined as those currently receiving funding from DXdao) that will allocate time and resources to working group. Those expected to attend meetings and provide feedback include @Powers @John @AugustoL @sky @corkus, others?
  • Delphi Digital team
  • DAOstack leadership team
  • Other potential participants - RadicalxChange, Democracy Earth or Eva Beylin (Moloch/Graph), @ykplayer8, @koeppelmann, others (suggestions below)

Output:

A specification document, signed off by Working Group participants, that provides solutions that can be executed on by the DXdao community. It will be up to the Working Group to decide if the final document includes a single-agreed upon plan or one that

Timeline:

• Kick off meeting (Week 1) - narrow scope, present initial findings and assign research roles
  • Present Research (Week 3) - go over case studies, discuss parameters of solutions, create ‘half-way’ update for community
  • Draft Solutions (Week 5) - present potential solutions and discuss viability, determine the scope of final document
  • Final Check-in meeting (Week 7) - go over solutions document and finalize any loos ends or ambiguities

In this timeline a final document would be presented after 8 weeks.

Resources:

• To ensure participation, Working Group participants can be compensate for their contributions
  • Working Group participants will need to submit a specific compensation proposal. Estimated total budget: $10,000 to be paid in ETH
  • Working Group participants should also receive REP awards for their contributions

Transparency & accountability:

• All meetings are open to the public and will be recorded for later viewing
  • Research and ideas should be presented on DAOtalk forum as
  • Working Group is not endowed with any special rights or privileges. Its findings will be voted upon by REP holders
  • Active participants have a responsibility to ensure execution and communication with community
2 Likes

bumping this thread, thanks for putting this together sir.

personally im in strong favor of REP inflation over time, I think one of the only real critic of the current situation is some early REP stakers owning a significant share and some of the bigger holders that holds >1% of all REP are also inactive.

by inflating REP, we slowly dilute the inactive shareholders’s voting power which is only fair, in my opinion.

I also strongly support "Locking for REP’, this is already brought up few times and also Delphi Digital has mentioned it in a research.

currently I don’t have much to do with my DXD holdings thus being able to lock it up for reputation to show my commitment would be great.

1 Like

There has been additional discussion in the Keybase, on last week’s governance discussion and towards the end of the last weekly call.

There seems to be broad consensus in the community about moving forward. The one area that there was still some discussion on was whether or not the meetings will be recorded.

Please provide any final feedback below or on tomorrow’s Governance discussion. I plan to submit a formal proposal tomorrow evening (Brooklyn time)

1 Like

Draft below. Any final feedback before submission?

The 5 Point Plan was approved by REP holders last month. An important element of the plan was to address underlying, structural issues with DXdao governance and present a plan for long-term sustainability.

This proposal is meant to signal approval for the creation of a group, dubbed “Governance 2.0 Working Group”, to research these areas and report back to the DXdao community with their findings. This working group does not have any implementation capability.

Scope:

Investigate inconsistencies and drawbacks in DXdao’s current governance architecture and present solution(s) that address these and create a long-term foundation for DXdao to grow and prosper.

Governance issues to address:

• Incentivize good governance for REP holders
  • DXD and REP long-term alignment
  • Provide guidance on a multi-chain & Layer 2 world

Existing governance properties to preserve:

• Anti-plutocracy - voting power cannot be bought
  • REP (Reputation) is on-chain recognition of contributions to DXdao
  • DXD is the financial primitive of DXdao
  • Security and sovereignty
  • Growth and decentralization

Participants:

• DXdao “core contributors” (defined as those currently receiving funding from DXdao) that will allocate time and resources to working group. Those expected to attend meetings and provide feedback @Powers @John @AugustoL @sky @corkus
  • Delphi Digital
  • DAOstack Leadership Team
  • DXdao community members: @ykplayer8 and @nylon
  • Additional participants will be encouraged to participate
  • Other community members interested should reach out to @Powers to get involved

Output:

A specification document, signed off by Working Group participants, that provides solutions that can be executed on by the DXdao community. It will be up to the Working Group to decide if the final document includes a single-agreed upon plan or one that

Timeline:

• Kick off meeting (Week 1) - narrow scope, present initial findings and assign research roles
  • Present Research (Week 3) - go over case studies, discuss parameters of solutions, create ‘half-way’ update for community
  • Draft Solutions (Week 5) - present potential solutions and discuss viability, determine the scope of final document
  • Final Check-in meeting (Week 7) - go over solutions document and finalize any loos ends or ambiguities

In this timeline a final document would be presented after 8 weeks.

Resources:

• To ensure participation, Working Group participants can be compensate for their contributions
  • Working Group participants will need to submit a specific compensation proposal. Estimated total budget: $10,000 to be paid in ETH
  • Working Group participants should also receive REP awards for their contributions

Transparency & accountability:

• Meeting notes will be provided to the forum and updates provided on the Weekly and Governance calls
  • New Research and ideas generated from working group should be presented on DAOtalk forum for wider discussion.
  • Working Group is not endowed with any special rights or privileges. Ultimately, its findings must be voted upon by REP holders
  • Active participants listed in this proposal have a responsibility to ensure execution and communication with community
2 Likes