Governance 1.X - improvements to the current DAOstack governance structure
- DXD guild
- Locking for REP
- Gasless voting
- Signalling and consensus improvements
Governance 2.0 - migration plan for next generation governance stack for DXdao
- Layer 2 and a post ETH1.0 world
- Long-term incentive alignment between REP & DXD
- Decentralized & sovereign tools for DXdao governance, product, development and community
The Governance 2.0 segment, meanwhile, has seen a healthy discussion across Keybase, DAOtalk and on calls. Delphi Digital presented research on a governance upgrade, while DAOstack has explored how governance scales to Layer 2. These discussions have been helpful, but there needs to be a more sustained approach. In my view, this is best achieved through a DAO-sanctioned working group that researches these long-term strategic problems and presents possible solutions to the community.
What does this look like? I’m not sure, but I imagine it starts with a Signal Proposal that defines the scope, resources, and potential participants. I’ve tried to lay out a first draft of this below. Feedback is welcome.
Investigate inconsistencies and drawbacks in DXdao’s current governance architecture and present solution(s) that address these and create a long-term foundation for DXdao to grow and prosper.
Governance issues to address:
- Incentivize good governance for REP holders
- DXD and REP long-term alignment
- Provide guidance on a multi-chain & Layer 2 world
Existing governance properties to preserve:
- Anti-plutocracy - voting power cannot be bought
- REP (Reputation) is on-chain recognition of contributions to DXdao
- DXD is the financial primitive of DXdao
- Security and sovereignty
- Growth and decentralization
- Open to all DXdao community members
- DXdao “core contributors” (defined as those currently receiving funding from DXdao) that will allocate time and resources to working group. Those expected to attend meetings and provide feedback include @Powers @John @AugustoL @sky @corkus, others?
- Delphi Digital team
- DAOstack leadership team
- Other potential participants - RadicalxChange, Democracy Earth or Eva Beylin (Moloch/Graph), @ykplayer8, @koeppelmann, others (suggestions below)
A specification document, signed off by Working Group participants, that provides solutions that can be executed on by the DXdao community. It will be up to the Working Group to decide if the final document includes a single-agreed upon plan or one that
- Kick off meeting (Week 1) - narrow scope, present initial findings and assign research roles
- Present Research (Week 3) - go over case studies, discuss parameters of solutions, create ‘half-way’ update for community
- Draft Solutions (Week 5) - present potential solutions and discuss viability, determine the scope of final document
- Final Check-in meeting (Week 7) - go over solutions document and finalize any loos ends or ambiguities
In this timeline a final document would be presented after 8 weeks.
- To ensure participation, Working Group participants can be compensate for their contributions
- Working Group participants will need to submit a specific compensation proposal. Estimated total budget: $10,000 to be paid in ETH
- Working Group participants should also receive REP awards for their contributions
Transparency & accountability:
- All meetings are open to the public and will be recorded for later viewing
- Research and ideas should be presented on DAOtalk forum as
- Working Group is not endowed with any special rights or privileges. Its findings will be voted upon by REP holders
- Active participants have a responsibility to ensure execution and communication with community