Genesis Onboarding Report 🥰

The Genesis Onboarding Report is a result of the “Create alternative onboarding methods” and aims to ideate and create alternative onboarding methods that increase the probability of new members becoming active Genesis 1.0 Members.

Question: What are the most effective and inclusive methods for turning interested individuals into Genesis members who are willing and able to contribute to Genesis 1.0.

Deliverables: 3 actionable suggestions for onboarding alternatives

Method: Strong discourse via the onboarding working group telegram chat (8 members) followed up by a call in which we pulled everything together.

Main findings
The current onboarding process is often experienced as confusing and stressful (almost
traumatizing). Even for technical and experienced individuals, it’s a big challenge: “It feels like
doing a solo choir in front of a full church.” Also, there is a lot of uncertainty around what is
valued within Genesis Alpha and where the boundaries between DAOstack, Genesis & Alchemy
are.

We envision an onboarding journey where anybody will be able to leverage their passion and
skills to contribute to a shared purpose and feel welcome to do so.
During the discourse, It became clear that onboarding is much more than understanding how
Alchemy works and includes a lot of social adjustment, which currently isn’t receiving enough
attention.

Overall the non-social parts such as the technical explanations, meaning of jargon and terms &
ecosystem mapping should be concisely documented and neat. The social and experiential part
of the onboarding should highly accessible and comforting.

During the research, it became clear that currently onboarding is mostly focussed around
Genesis Alpha DAO and as a result neglects onboarding into Genesis as an ecosystem.
Please take a look at the suggestions and feel welcomed to comment and get involved in the
improvement of the onboarding experience.

Suggestion A: Clear learning journey tailored to an individual’s needs and knowledge

In order for the ecosystem to thrive and attract participants from all regions, there have to be multiple onboarding journeys tailored to an individual’s goals, skills and interests. Each onboarding journey should have a clear starting point, milestones, and final destination. For Genesis 1.0 the final part of the onboarding journey could be a ritual where somebody receives an award (NFT?, On-chain level?, Rank?) and can be proud of their achievement. We would need to find a way to encourage new members to describe their needs, goals and preferences and Alchemy to improve their user-experience accordingly. Besides directing users to a suitable onboarding journey Alchemy could also help match individuals with DAOs, and proposals that might be of their interest to further lower the search costs.

Note: To avoid confusion the onboarding journey should have a clear start point, milestones, and endpoint.
Idea: Every DAO homepage to include a Become a DAO member button
Pitfall to avoid: People aren’t always aware of what they want or looking for

Some resources that might be useful assets for the learning journey
Glossary: List of words and definition
FAQ: Answers to frequently asked question new members bump into
Diagrams: Explain what a DAO is - Explain how DAOs operate

Suggestion B: Social inclusion through a GenDAO Buddy system

The social and experiential part of the onboarding should be highly accessible and comforting. Experience has shown that some of the most active members have received a lot of care and comfort from other members before being able to contribute actively.

We would like to create a buddy system that incentives current members to refer and guide new individuals to become active Genesis members. Also, we would like new members who don’t have a friend in Genesis to be able to be matched with a buddy with whom they can relate and feel comfortable.

The buddy system aims to replace the need for centrally led onboarding by creating an incentive mechanism and standard. We’ve identified two milestones which we would like to reward.

1. Finding the right buddy - Either through being referred by someone who is already a friend or by being matched with one of the available buddies who based on their description suits you best.

2. Reaching a certain milestone - Once the new members reach, for example, a certain amount of REP, the new member and buddy will receive a reward in the form of GEN + REP

Suggestion C: A sandbox for new members to experience the Genesis ecosystem through novice-level interactions

During the research, it became clear that most new members experience the onboarding process as overwhelming and often times scary. New members are unable to participate in the Genesis weekly call and even have a hard time participating in the Genesis Telegram chat because they don’t understand what’s happening and it’s extremely high volume. The pace and intensity of these channels are very high and we can’t expect (new) members to be able to keep up with everything.

We suggest creating a landing zone where new members are able to have novice-interactions, ask questions and practice with the toolset (Alchemy, Communications Channels, Proposals).

Practically this would lead to an incubation group consisting of a DAO with simple interactions and low stakes and a Telegram group where new members and curious folks can ask simple questions, contact buddies and share ideas.

Action

Let’s keep the ball rolling and make sure we have improved onboarding methods ready when Genesis 1.0 launches! We aim to create follow up proposals to further develop these suggestions but want to feel the sentiment of Genesis Alpha first.

Please comment, suggest and let us know which of the suggestions you want to contribute to.

Thanks!

The Genesis Onboarding Working Group

Open Questions & Notes

Genesis 1.0

• How much sense does it make to do onboarding before Genesis 1.0, we need more info?
  • It’s not entirely clear what we are onboarding people to? Is it Genesis DAO? Genesis as an ecosystem?
  • Paying upfront isn’t always ideal for proposal, we would prefer to see the majority of the reward to be requested after delivering a proposal.
  • There’s a lot of confusion around DAOstack the Company and Genesis the DAO, where do the product and company end?
    - We can’t have inherent inequality in relation to information flow & power

Measurements of success

• Activity in Genesis 1.0 (effective) = # of votes per month, # of proposals created, # of contributions to the GenesisDAO DAOtalk forum, # of times staked, # amount of GEN locked
  • Ease of onboarding (inclusive) = # of new members per month, average REP after 1 month of participating, average votes & stakes after x amount, average proposals per member

Ecosystem

• A synergy tool could really help to help people understand what conversations are going on and where people can find this. (suggestions: sobol, GraphCommons)
  • Idea: tagging what skills you have and what themes you’re interested in. (example)
  • There are few reliable feedback loops in the GEN ecosystem - Proposal idea: unifying effort to progress the entire co-living field, as a frequent and substantial use case.
  • We need more resources and support for DAO founders

Tech

• The error rate for filling their first proposal is very high - Can we create a simple set of validation rules?
  • Would be good to have more informational triggers in the DAPP

1 Like

In your opinion, which of the suggestions would have the biggest impact on improving the Genesis onboarding experience? :rocket:

• Suggestion A: Clear learning journey tailored to an individual’s needs and knowledge
  • Suggestion B: Social inclusion through a GenDAO Buddy system
  • Suggestion C: A sandbox for new members to experience the Genesis ecosystem through novice-level interactions

0 voters

3 Likes

In college when I pledged to a frat the buddy system worked very well. I think starting with one really strong relationship is the only way for new folks to really feel attached to the mission and outcomes of GenDAO.

I think I’ve “buddied” a number of really active folks here as well, so it definitely feels like it’s worked to an extent implicitly.

Maybe someday I’ll be a GenDAO great-grandpa.

3 Likes

Your buddying helped me a lot actually! Let’s decentralize you through the Buddy system :partying_face:

2 Likes

When I was on Steemit I found that one of the best ways to both get involved and learn was to complete tasks. Along the journey of participating in the Sndbox that Creative Crypto put together they guided the participants of the cohort in the discord group and leveraged on existing members experiences to assist (like a buddy system). There was incentive included via upvotes from the Sndbox account resulting in the creation of new content, interaction with the community at large and a deeper understanding of the platform and its potential.

2 Likes

I guess what I’m saying is that by combining all 3 suggestions into an actionable Sndbox program we could make the onboarding process educational, fun and productive. Participants will have skin in the game and then they can use the same methods to on board more people in their community

2 Likes

Nice! Thats a great idea. Could you send a link to the sandbox?

Would love to have you involved in the creation of follow-up proposals for onboarding :slight_smile:

1 Like

Now I’m wondering if it isn’t a better idea to contact the guys behind The Creative Crypto and see if they might be keen on building a DAO :thinking:.

https://sndbox.co/

https://thecreativecrypto.com/

What made the Sndbox stand out was the weekly activities that allowed for incentivized engagement within the platform (Steemit) and the creativity behind the way the program was put together.

Let me see what i can do for some more ideas/proposal for onboarding :pray:

2 Likes

Hi @LuukI I find myself wondering if you’re taking account the onboarding guide and work that @liviade has done and are taking her into account as you publish this type of feedback. It only launched 2/3 weeks ago so perhaps your research does not reflect the new experience of people. This handbook is a good foundational piece of work, one of the best I have seen in many communities and networks - onboarding is often too complicated and the purpose of this handbook is to produce the minimum viable needed.

Instead of creating something new and repeating work will the onboarding WG add the some of the additions mentioned - including the list below and various other improvements to the existing gitbook? The point of making a gitbook is to have contributions open to all members should @liviade can you update on how people do that?

I noted some things from your post that could be added straight away:
Glossary:** List of words and definition
FAQ: Answers to frequently asked question new members bump into
Diagrams: Explain what a DAO is - Explain how DAOs operate

Also would love to see this added to the handbook 'The error rate for filling their first proposal is very high - Can we create a simple set of validation rules?'

Other than adding things to the gitbook I support the creation of tasks for non developers to do on arrival - this has been a challenge since the beginning and there have been some attempts to create a sort of first time bounties process which have failed, so if you can nail this, that would be great - seeing how this works with the actual bounties scheme will be key. The buddy system is also a great idea.

Ecosystem? I would say that Genesis is not an ecosystem. It is a DAO. But as more DAOs grow then we will have an ecosystem.

Lastly I want to support some of @exponent’s points in another thread that perhaps we want to focus onboarding attempts to a particular type of users as I think that Genesis DAO is not a good fit for all people and we have a limited budget to support proposals. We will soon have a clear mission and some objectives and thus we need to focus onboarding efforts to achieve those things.

1. Given that a key objective is more DAOs starting I like the idea of focusing onboarding efforts on DAO founders
  2. Given that it’s likely that @Liors proposal for budget management will pass that will direct 70% of funds towards development and it is a longstanding goal of Genesis to attract more developers this should be a focus @Shiv is your point of contact for helping developers once they start, we have the hackers kit and issues that have been scoped for first time devs

2 Likes

Hey @Kate! As a noob here, I’d be grateful if you (or someone) could direct me to the Handbook! I’ve been working on my first proposal and trying to digest as much information as possible :smile:

Geez… ok I found it @Kate all good! Looking fwd to being of assistance :slight_smile:

Found this program cool, could be used as a source of onboarding inspiration @liviade @Luuk

1 Like

Good suggestions! Are you in touch with them? Let’s contact them :slight_smile:

Yes! Something like this looks really good - any idea if we can have badges and NFT rewards in 3BOX? @patdaostack

Hi Kate!

Thanks for taking the time to read the report and comment.

@liviade has indeed been created a good foundation for onboarding. Because of Livia being the DAOstack person most involved in onboarding we asked her to become part of the working group call.

It would be wonderful if the Gitbook would be completely open for others to contribute.

I believe we should have more discourse on the ecosystem question. The GEN economy already goes beyond just Genesis DAO and so does the adoption of DAOstack technology.

You mentioned attracting more DAO founders joining as a key objective.
If we assume (haven’t reached consensus yet right?) onboarding DAO Founders is a key objective it would make even more sense to not focus onboarding only on Genesis Alpha (1.0) DAO but into the ecosystem as a whole. DAO founders want to found DAOs, not join an existing DAO.

As far as I understand, Lior’s proposal is more of a signaling proposal and none of the budgets are set in stone. Again, I don’t think we can’t create a realistic budget if we don’t have clear and measurable OKR’s based on our shared purpose.

Finally, I’m happy to contribute towards attracting more Devs.

Saludos :four_leaf_clover:

1 Like

Hey everyone!

Our Gitbook onboarding guide it’s finally connected with Github. This means everyone can contribute to it. @Shiv and I added instructions for how to do it here https://app.gitbook.com/@liviade/s/genesisdao/how-to-collaborate

It can look a bit scary to deal with github if you’re a non tech person, I put myself in that box and I just learned how to do it in 10 min :blush: So please give it a try, and don’ t hesitate to ask questions even if they are very simple!

2 Likes

I’m unable to open the link :confused: