DXdao Onboarding Refresh/Update

Summary

• Introduce a “Worker Information Dashboard” to DXdao.eth.link. This would be designed around solving the existing information gap by aggregating relevant content designed for workers.
  • Complete a clarity passthrough or create worker documents. This is including but not limited to Compensation Guidelines, Proposal Guidelines, and DXD Vesting Guidelines.
  • Creation and curation of an airtable containing documentation designed to corroborate internal communication.
  • Implement a second-week performance review for new workers as a temporary measure until KPI’s are completed.

Hey! I am Keenan, a brand new DXdao contributor focused on Community Communication, Product Clarity, and Marketing. One of my three major goals for my trial period includes addressing and revamping the current onboarding process. I figured “Hey! I just personally got through all this, now would be the best time to make some positive changes”.

I spent a lot of time thinking about the general structure. What are the steps that we are taking and how can we change them? Additionally, do we need to change them? I explored this by reviewing the process thoroughly to identify the core issues. I will outline these first, before showing the borderline “obvious” solution.

The problems

Unless communicated by a community member, figuring out the next step can be needlessly difficult.

To address the elephant in the room, there currently exists a document that I will be referencing a couple of times. This document does a pretty good job of addressing a few of the issues I will be bringing up, but the main problem is that it is a “band-aid solution”. That is; it addresses some pressing issues but has no permanence. This document is only found (to the best of my knowledge) on the DXdao Twitter, and with a google search. Additionally, since it isn’t hosted on dxdao.eth.link, it could appear unreliable to the uninformed.

Ignoring the Worker Opportunities document, knowing what’s next is not well communicated throughout. This includes steps that have no direct contact with Dao members, such as Keybase introductions. Simple enough.

Potential workers don’t have reasonable means to identify DXdao’s current needs.

Once again, the aforementioned Worker Opportunities document does address this in the “Opportunities W/ Capacity Needs” section. I think this is the smallest issue, since the places DXdao has chosen to share this document are very in line with what should be expected. The issue boils back to having information spread around and expecting our prospective workers or community members to pick up the pieces themselves.

Newly onboarded community members could be missing vital information regarding internal communication.

This is a very important point that requires further discussion. Workers and community members, upon joining DXdao, have little to no information surrounding their coworkers. This is an issue that doesn’t just apply to our current state but severely dampens growth and scalability. I’m not talking about sharing your home address and phone number here; but something as simple as collecting an alias, unified availability time, and department of contribution will be incredibly beneficial long term.

Workers on a trial period may not have sufficient information regarding what exactly is expected of them.

In its current state, new workers are left relatively in the dark about their trial period. Understanding that the collective decides whether or not you will remain a contributor is a great first step, but each worker will have different responsibilities and areas of work. This means a central document containing expectations will likely not apply in all situations. The questions I had when introduced to the concept of the trial period were primarily:

What exactly does the trial period mean?

Will someone be consistently following my progress?

Will I be required to make reports?

Will nothing out of the ordinary happen, and the period is used solely as a financial failsafe in case I am not a proper fit for DXDao?

Additionally, what resources are used to determine that?

Potential workers don’t have solidified guidelines to follow concerning proposals. This extends to current workers.

This issue is largely governance oriented. As we grow into the future we will undoubtedly have more workers. As a result, we will have more proposals to vote on. Catching the problem yet? Without established guidelines for proposal content, each proposal could contain different subject matter or structuring. As it is currently, it’s an annoyance at best; in the future, on the other hand, good governance could become a full-time job.

On the worker side, new contributors may not know what the community expects from them in their initial proposal. For myself, I followed all of the current guidelines as well as communicated with several members beforehand. After all of this, my proposal became a discussed topic since I had not included some information the community considered vital. Although it was understandable, it would have likely been avoided entirely with a formatting framework.

Trial workers may have difficulty with DXD compensation contracts, depending on their field of expertise.

This has been addressed since the original writing of this piece. I recommend giving “DXdao DXD Vesting Platform - Issue, Goal and Details” by Sky a thorough read. As stated in that document, “[DXD vesting] is [currently] technologically hard, costly, prone to error and inefficient.” By creating this Vesting platform we will avoid confusion and cost incurred by DXdao members, particularly those in non-technical fields that may have extra implied difficulty.

The Process

You may notice that I have listed no issues concerning the actual process. This is no error, I believe that the steps we have are consistent and important. I had initially made plans to change the process entirely, incorporating forms, pre-recorded interviews, among some other drastic additions. Let’s review it, shall we? The following is found in the DXdao Worker Opportunities document.

HOW TO ENGAGE

1. Join Keybase, introduce yourself to the community, express your interests and find a role or responsibilities that you will be comfortable with.

2. After introducing yourself, join the #getting-started channel. DXdao members there will help you coordinate meetings with at least two existing full time workers and come up with responsibilities to be taken for the trial period.

3. Propose a trial period, which could be part time, of less than 80 working hours. Explore possibilities with active workers. See high level view of opportunities below.

4. If your trial period is accepted by the community with an on chain proposal, then it is time to prove yourself by delivering on the responsibilities you assumed.

5. If you are interested after finishing your trial period you can submit a proposal applying for a longer and higher workload engagement

The current process includes some important factors. Community Familiarization; this is important because REP holders are the ones that vote on proposals. You can find the information provided by the candidate in the #introductions and #getting-started channels on Keybase. We also have Internal Communication. We pull candidates into a “face to face” call with a group of important and relevant members. Not everything can be taken care of over text. Having an initial discussion in these conditions is much more productive, and allows for deeper exploration of a candidate’s abilities. You could also consider publicly posting a proposal as a Discovery, or Announcement factor. When the community discusses these proposals, be it on Daotalk or the weekly governance calls, we are collectively ensuring the candidate is a proper fit.

Okay, so the process is fine? What is the point of all of this then?” you might be asking. With everything we have talked about up until this point in mind, I have set a direction that is deceptively easy to implement. If you read the summary at the top (I know you did), this will be no surprise to you!

The Solutions

We will begin by creating a DXdao “Worker Information Dashboard” on DXdao.eth. The specifics of how this will look and fit correctly are being worked on, but the general framework would be as follows. (Note: This will likely be intertwined if not entirely found on GitBook). Replace the existing “Worker Compensation” tab on the new frontpage with this dashboard. Here we can display static content such as a targetted introduction and relevant social media. Alongside this, we can provide avenues to dynamic content such as ever-changing documents and guidelines. In doing so, we create a congregation of the most current information that pertains to new workers.

When creating initiatives such as this, if the information is rehashed into several different places a disconnect may occur that can defeat the whole purpose. By separating static and dynamic content and linking directly to a single source of regularly updated truth, we reduce potential future workload and further reduce the chance of incoordination. (Relating to this, see our Reddit).

Secondly, we will update or create worker documents where necessary. Many of these documents have aged, and need at least minor quality of life improvements. Additionally, we need to create a few documents to fill existing information gaps. This can begin with a “Worker Proposal Guideline”. Worker Compensation guidelines and the DXD vesting guide can be looked at and categorized as well.

One of the most important changes involves creating and actively curating content designed for internal use. This includes but is not limited to a unified calendar system, worker information and availability information, and solidified collection of documents. Although this doesn’t necessarily focus directly on onboarding, it is a factor that can hurt new members more than established ones. By spending time to tackle these larger internal initiatives, we reduce the implied barrier to entry exponentially. This will also result in increasing valuable workable hours, where we can more effectively coordinate collaborative time.

Last but not least, we should implement a second-week performance review minimum for new workers. Currently, new workers have difficulty knowing if the quality or quantity of their work is in line with the expectations of the community. This could go hand in hand with the current discussion surrounding “DXsquads”. The proposed “squad leaders’’ could have a brief meeting with the contributor, and relay the results of the conversation either in a Keybase channel or on a Daotalk thread. This way, the broader community will have a written representation of how the respective team lead believes the worker is performing. This extends to any corrective action that may have been requested.

The Solutions?

I’d like to briefly outline how each respective problem has received a solution as a result of these plans since I previously focused primarily on the issues.

Unless communicated by a community member, figuring out the next step can be needlessly difficult.

Simple. The “Worker Dashboard” will have a clear list of the most current steps accessible in an easy to find area. It goes without saying, but this could double as a recruitment tool depending on the content we decide to display.

The beauty of this solution is that we won’t need to allocate many resources towards it. Since much of this content is pre-existing, and our current website is relatively simplified, it is likely it would be a quick process. Additionally, having this congregation of information and external links will make an eventual website migration quite seamless.

Potential workers don’t have reasonable means to identify DXdao’s current needs.

Boom, Worker Dashboard! Next.

Newly onboarded community members could be missing vital information regarding internal communication.

Focusing on Airtable or Notion we can solve and automate many of our existing communication problems, and bridge the current gap between new and experienced workers.

Workers on a trial period may not have sufficient information regarding what exactly is expected of them.

By introducing at least one “check-in”, we can help to guide workers in the correct direction and better filter out bad actors.

Potential workers don’t have solidified guidelines to follow concerning proposals. This extends to current workers.

Having a non-mandatory guideline to follow regarding proposals is important to demonstrate what is expected. Also, an additional clarity pass on existing documents will create an environment that is overall less stressful and confusing.

Trial workers may have difficulty with DXD compensation contracts, depending on their field of expertise.

This is addressed by including it on the new dashboard, and by giving it a simple user accessibility update. In the future, this will be replaced with the DXD Vesting platform.

Actionable Items

Thank you for reading, I know it was a bit of a mouthful. (I tried to make this arguably boring subject a little bit more fun to read!). I would love it if anyone could make suggestions or comments. Something you don’t like the sounds of? In need of further discussion? Let me know!

Let’s finish off with some actionable items. These are largely in coordination with previous meetings.

• Introduce a “Worker Information Dashboard” to DXdao.eth.link. This would be designed around solving the existing information gap by aggregating relevant content designed for workers.
    • Keenan and Violet have already touched base regarding this and plan to collaborate to its completion. Once we discover any additional help that is needed we will reach out. (Design perhaps).
  • Complete a clarity passthrough or create worker documents. This is including but not limited to Compensation Guidelines, Proposal Guidelines, and DXD Vesting Guidelines.
    • Keenan and PulpMachina have begun this process.
  • Creation and curation of an airtable containing documentation designed to corroborate internal communication.
    • Keenan, Zett and Sky are currently slated to work on this. Keenan has begun with the calendar and note taking initiative.
  • Implement a second-week performance review for new workers as a temporary measure until KPI’s are completed.
    • This is worth discussing further, perhaps at the following governance meeting. Keenan will relay that intent.

Have a great weekend!

6 Likes

Hey all,

Just a quick update regarding actionable items.

• “Introduce a “Worker Information Dashboard” to DXdao.eth.link. This would be designed around solving the existing information gap by aggregating relevant content designed for workers.”

• As I mentioned above, this was most likely to take the place of a “Gitbook”. After discussion, we instead decided to go with “Just the docs”. The bonus of moving forward with a documentation booklet is that we will solve not only the lack of onboarding clarity, but address some of the larger information issues that have existed. Since this transitioned to a bit larger of a focus, I will create a separate daotalk post outlining goals for the book. This will be done once we start the process of signalling articles to be written.
  • “Complete a clarity passthrough or create worker documents. This is including but not limited to Compensation Guidelines, Proposal Guidelines, and DXD Vesting Guidelines.”

• When this post was first created, @pulpmachina had just started their contributions. Since then, they have had a very large focus on much of what was signalled. Additionally they have brought pressing topics to governance meetings for discussion, and helped to solidify many missing points.Big thank you to the two of them! We have just worked together regarding categorization, and I will begin the process of formatting and signaling as early as this coming Monday.
  • “Creation and curation of an airtable containing documentation designed to corroborate internal communication.”

• I set up the Airtable to display and sort our meeting schedule, with the benefit of backdating to any previous meeting. This calendar is taken directly from google calendar, and as such can be used for more than just meetings. (External meetings, blackout dates, announcement structuring, etc…). The goal is to have this airtable embedded in the documentation page, which is why I have been filling out/moderating it by myself to ensure this is the long term move we want to make. Worker information is effectively ready as well, I would just need to bring this discussion back up to ensure any new categorization I have added we are comfortable with.

• Here are a few examples. All meetings table. All meetings calendar. All meetings actionable items.

• These can be filtered manually, and separate tables designed for each meeting exist as well.
  • “Implement a second-week performance review for new workers as a temporary measure until KPI’s are completed.”

• This was brought up at the nearest governance meeting, and has evolved in a few different ways. This includes the mentioned KPI’s, squad based performance reviews, removal of the two month trial period - to be replaced with a mandatory two week period with a full review, among a few other ideas. This will be formally resolved with the release of the onboarding documents to the best of my knowledge.

There we have it, the holidays have made this process maybe a bit longer than I would have hoped, but direction wise I am very happy with how everything is coming together. I personally have a goal for the documentation book - end of January we will have at a minimum the barebones content and layout for the book live, and cross-referenced via DXdao.eth.link.

I can outline that a little bit better in a documentation book post when it makes sense to do so!

5 Likes