DXdao Grant Proposal: Diamond DAO // Chainverse

Summary
Proposal to make a 60000 DAI grant to Diamond DAO through DXventures program.

DXventures Mission

DXventures is not a traditional investment fund. Its main purpose is to collaborate with and incubate promising projects in need of seed or growth capital that solve problems DAOs and the DeFi space face.

DXdao envisions a future in which DAOs are the optimal vehicle for technologists, scientists, creatives, and industry leaders to organize through and innovate. Thus, teams that DXdao will support are developing solutions to facilitate this transition. Additionally, DXdao develops decentralized applications on the Ethereum blockchain and so naturally supports working with, and investing in, projects advancing the future of DeFi.

Diamond DAO

Diamond DAO is building a community for DAO data nerds. Its mission is to empower DAOs and their members by building tools to help DAOs understand, grow, engage, and decentralize their communities.

Diamond DAO is beginning with Chainverse, a data & analytics platform for measuring DAO community health.

Chainverse will look something like this.

Chainverse will have three components:

Ecosystem view : compare similarly situated DAOs across key engagement, decentralization, growth, and financial metrics.

Community view : track community health and reward engaged contributors

Member view : track earnings, view upcoming votes, earn rewards for collecting & validating data and providing anonymized demographic details

Diamond DAO will reward community members who extend Chainverse:

• Extend coverage to emerging DAO frameworks
  • Additional metrics for novel use cases (i.e. reputation score for DeFi underwriting)
  • Discord bots using Chainverse data (i.e. one partner will use Chainverse data to build ML-driven bot to reduce churn)
  • New data sources
  • Written reports on covered DAOs

Proposal for DX ventures grant to Diamond DAO

DXventure’s mission is to fund projects that support DAOs and dApps.

DAOs need visibility into their communities to understand community health and to design & implement programs to achive growth, engagement, decentralization (i.e. governance incentive programs).

dApps need reliable reference data on DAOs and their members to build everything from social networks to better onboarding experiences to recommending DAOs for users to identifying alpha for investors.

Chainverse will provide DAOs with the visibility they need to thrive and give dApps the reference data they need to create engaging & helpful user experiences for their customers.

Diamond DAO requests that DXdao participates in its ongoing Community Contribution Opportunity through a 60,000 DAI grant in return for 100 Diamond DAO governance shares and 60,000 Loot (economic) shares. Over time, the loot shares will be converted into an ERC-20 token that captures value from Diamond DAO’s revenue.

A grant from DXventures would benefit all DAOs, especially DXdao.

• Prioritizing integrating DXvote as a covered DAO framework, benefiting DXdao & driving community attention to DXvote as an emerging and innovative governance framework
  • Diamond DAO attracts technical contributors who love DAOs and data. One contributor has already performed useful analytics for Omen. Diamond DAO can help source new contributors to DXdao to assist with data & analytics projects.
  • Governance power to propose and vote on additional features/metrics
  • DXdao would also receive right of first refusal in any future Diamond DAO CCOs.

Next Steps

If the DXdao community signals interest in going forward with a 60000 DAI grant to Diamond DAO, @amphiboly will make an on-chain proposal for the grant.

6 Likes

I am excited about Diamond DAO and the need for it in the space.

I think Chainverse is going to solve Data + Analytics + Community Health for DAOs who are basically all currently operating in the dark. It also takes the form of a DAO community building and solving problems for other DAO communities.

DXdao will get big value out of Chainverse and I think it will become an important tool for many DAOs.

3 Likes

I’m not sure if I perhaps missed out on some of the conversations around this but have a few questions.
I know there were plans on making some sort of statistics tool that was brought up in the gov_dev channel however no additional discussion happened about it.

From our perspective, I don’t see a clear advantage of this. DXvote already has access to all the statistical data we need and this view was only created as a quick proof of concept by @AugustoL.
On top of this we now have a full DXgov dev team working on our governance application, why would we want it externalised so we have to go somewhere else to check statistical data on governance?
This seems like the opposite of the reason we created DXvote, we wanted more control over our governance and less dependency.
https://dxvote-dev.netlify.app/#/xdai/info?view=governance

Beyond just fancy graphs we have actual use cases of statistics in DXvote planned for the DXgovernance operations team to generate reports etc which would not likely be a functionality of an external app, right?

Also what is diamond dao? a quick search shows nothing, is it a functioning dao? Shouldn’t we at least have some introduction maybe on a community call for this?

A little more on the technical side also, DXvote isn’t super simple to build statistics for since it doesn’t use the graph and so is diamond dao really going to put all the work into understanding how DXvote works and building the code to support it?

Also, there are already numerous sites presenting aggregated dao data similar to this, how is this different?

6 Likes

@ross brings up some good points that we need to address. I think the DXvote squad should be completely onboard, and have a clear understanding of the purpose of the stats from Diamond Dao before moving forward. As I understand, there are currently stats in place that were created by @augustol.

In addition, this draft proposal mentions this could be an opportunity to source new contributors for DXdao. I would like to be very hands on in this recruiting process as I lead the Contributor UX at DXdao. I have already identified a few concerns/red flags with the current technical team working on this project at Diamond Dao that I have brought to @amphiboly’s attention.

3 Likes

Hi @ross

Thank you for the thoughtful response. I will provide some additional context to address some of the concerns you raised.

Also, there are already numerous sites presenting aggregated dao data similar to this, how is this different?

Yes, there are sites that aggregate DAO data. Two issues:

• These organizations do not have experience building, operating, and mainlining data pipelines. So, they are having issues delivering (a) accurate data (b) useful metrics. We’ve conducted dozens of user interviews and respondents have repeatedly complained about the quality of Deep DAO’s data and stated that the metrics provided by Deep DAO did not provide meaningful insights into DAOs.
  • Organizations would rather purchase reference data on DAOs from Diamond DAO than build and maintain their own pipelines. For instance, we just signed minty.xyz as a customer for reference data on DAOs; they would rather purchase basic data from us than collect it themselves. We’ve also been approached by funds and other Web3 stakeholders for reference data on DAOs, representing a huge commercial opportunity.

A little more on the technical side also, DXvote isn’t super simple to build statistics for since it doesn’t use the graph and so is diamond dao really going to put all the work into understanding how DXvote works and building the code to support it?

Yes, we will. We are not just pulling data from The Graph; we pull from a variety of on-chain and off-chain sources, ranging from The Graph to Snapshot to block explorer APIs to Covalent. We are also working on pipelines for additional sources, including Discord and Discourse forums.

We are happy to dive into DXvote, in part because we think DXdao has an opportunity to offer DXvote as a DAO framework for many other DAOs; by integrating DXvote as a supported voting framework, we will actually be positioned to help onboard other DAOs onto DXvote.

Also what is diamond dao? a quick search shows nothing, is it a functioning dao? Shouldn’t we at least have some introduction maybe on a community call for this?

Diamond DAO is new (summoned in July) but we are indeed a functioning DAO. We have 11 active members working on everything from data pipelines to user interviews with community managers to Discord analytics bots to community design.

I’m happy to join the community call and bring on some other members so the community can learn more about us and what we are working on.
Early contributors boot-strapped Diamond DAO with 22k of contributions which we’ve used to generate more than $10,000 in revenue already.

Our DAO on DAOhaus is here: Diamond DAO - DAOhaus

Our forum is here: Diamond DAO - DAOhaus

Our Discord is here: Diamond DAO

Our Github is private but I am happy to provide access to anyone who is interested.

You can read more about some of our early contributors here: Diamond DAO contributor background - HackMD

On top of this we now have a full DXgov dev team working on our governance application, why would we want it externalised so we have to go somewhere else to check statistical data on governance?
This seems like the opposite of the reason we created DXvote, we wanted more control over our governance and less dependency.
dxvote.eth

From our perspective, I don’t see a clear advantage of this. DXvote already has access to all the statistical data we need and this view was only created as a quick proof of concept by @AugustoL.
dxvote.eth

Beyond just fancy graphs we have actual use cases of statistics in DXvote planned for the DXgovernance operations team to generate reports etc which would not likely be a functionality of an external app, right?

Great questions. Let me provide a little additional background on why we are building Chainverse. Chainverse isn’t just a tool for reporting on voting metrics. Chainverse is a tool for understanding community health.

We are collecting metrics on engagement, growth, decentralization, and atmosphere that will help community managers understand what’s going on in their DAO, reward highly engaged members, and encourage less engaged members.

For instance, many DAOs have issues with churn. By synthesizing voting data with data from other sources (i.e. the forum, Discord) we can help community managers identify new members who are dropping off in engagement (i.e. drill down to members who haven’t sent a message in the Discord after 1 week) and provide other data that can help community managers can develop strategies for retaining those members (i.e. if they are members of several DeFi related DAOs, you can sending a forum post about a new feature added to Swapr).

Eventually we will build tools to help automate this type of outreach that are driven by our data.

It will also be a tool for people who are considering joining DAOs to evaluate DAOs they are interested in. i.e. “What does the median contributor at DXdao make per month? Is that going up or down on a MoM basis?”

I’m not sure if I perhaps missed out on some of the conversations around this but have a few questions. I know there were plans on making some sort of statistics tool that was brought up in the gov_dev channel however no additional discussion happened about it.

An important point of clarification here; we aren’t proposing the grant as a contract, we pursuing the grant as part of our Community Contribution Opportunity (CCO) designed to raise enough for key contributors to focus on Diamond DAO full-time. The goal is to build a generalizable product for all DAOs, not just DXdao. The grant is intended to support the development our MVP which will benefit the broader DAO ecosystem with the additional bonus of covering DXvote as a framework, positioning us to evangelize DXvote and support efforts to put it in the hands of more DAOs. This grant isn’t a contract You can get some more background about that here – DocSend

Happy to answer further questions here or via chat/call.

1 Like

@ross brings up some good points that we need to address. I think the DXvote squad should be completely onboard, and have a clear understanding of the purpose of the stats from Diamond Dao before moving forward. As I understand, there are currently stats in place that were created by @augustol.

Happy to walk the DXvote team through what we would include in the platform, which would be a combination of stats/metrics covered by DXvote, and other stats/metrics that we would collect from other sources.

In addition, this draft proposal mentions this could be an opportunity to source new contributors for DXdao. I would like to be very hands on in this recruiting process as I lead the Contributor UX at DXdao. I have already identified a few concerns/red flags with the current technical team working on this project at Diamond Dao that I have brought to @amphiboly’s attention.

Totally understand your concern. It seems that some of the concerns around our technical team relate to some folks not believing the credentials of one specific contributor (because they are impressive). I can personally vouch for his credentials, but if community members are still skeptical, I’m happy to have them join a call with any interested parties from DXdao.

1 Like

You mention that other orgs dont have experience building and operating data pipelines, do you? Is there anything you could maybe show us about your previous work or more technical plans beyond just marketing as to how you are going to do this?

The purchasing of data was not something you mentioned in your initial post …
So you intend for us to fund you with a grant and for you to then sell our data to third parties?

Furthermore, you have a private github? So you are closed source and want to sell data in a typical web2 style, this is likely to receive a lot of disapproval from DXdao as it is very against our values.
My initial thought was that this seems like a request to fund a public good but actually, it seems very much not to be that and so the lack of clear benefits to the dao + closed source selling of data nature does not bode well.

The next steps if you want to seriously propose this would at the very least be having you and some devs on a community call as this isn’t something you would get passed on chain without proper discussion.

2 Likes

You mention that other orgs dont have experience building and operating data pipelines, do you? Is there anything you could maybe show us about your previous work or more technical plans beyond just marketing as to how you are going to do this?

Yes, I am the Director of Product at a growth stage start-up that sells data products to financial institutions, corporates, and government agencies. I lead our content production, so coordinating a team of data scientists, data engineers, and subject matter experts to build pipelines that feed our knowledge graph, which we then productize for clients.

The contributor driving our data engineering forward (Christian Lemp) is Director of Data Engineering at The Hartford and was a data engineering manager at Farmer’s. So we have a lot of experience building and maintaining data pipelines.

With regards to technical plans beyond marketing; happy to have Christian walk through the architecture we are working towards, go through what we’ve built so far & what we are focusing on over the next couple of weeks (primarily demos focused on individual orgs to help us with outreach).

The purchasing of data was not something you mentioned in your initial post …
So you intend for us to fund you with a grant and for you to then sell our data to third parties?

Our primary business model is to allow DAOs to measure the health of their communities & drive growth and engagement through the community manager UI.

Another (less important part) of our business model is selling publicly available information on thousands of DAOs to clients who want to use them to surface DAOs to invest in or surface on their marketplace. The case I just mentioned is a client who will use that data drive a public interface for identifying DAOs for their users to join. We are not just mining data and selling it to shadowy businesses.

We do not intend on selling data in a Web2 style. The tokenomic model we are building is designed to share that revenue with our users and contributors; people and orgs that perform basic data collection and validation tasks (i.e. validating the DXdao treasury wallet address).

Furthermore, you have a private github? So you are closed source and want to sell data in a typical web2 style, this is likely to receive a lot of disapproval from DXdao as it is very against our values.
My initial thought was that this seems like a request to fund a public good but actually, it seems very much not to be that and so the lack of clear benefits to the dao + closed source selling of data nature does not bode well.

Furthermore, you have a private github? So you are closed source and want to sell data in a typical web2 style, this is likely to receive a lot of disapproval from DXdao as it is very against our values. My initial thought was that this seems like a request to fund a public good but actually, it seems very much not to be that and so the lack of clear benefits to the dao + closed source selling of data nature does not bode well.

We do not intend on keeping the Github closed source indefinitely. We started with a private Github because we wanted to figure out how to structure it & write detailed on-boarding docs for our developers before having people check out the Github. We just wanted to make a good first impression.

The next steps if you want to seriously propose this would at the very least be having you and some devs on a community call as this isn’t something you would get passed on chain without proper discussion.

I am joining the BD call next week with a few of our devs, so look forward to discussing in greater depth then. Also happy to answer any other questions in the meantime.

1 Like

Another thing I will add for everyone’s context.

Diamond DAO is what would be described in VC parlance as “pre-seed.” I.e. we are pre-product, and working towards building our MVP.

The objective for raising is to enable Christian and I to go full-time, bring on a full time developer, and sustainably fund bounties to part-time contributors
Would appreciate everyone bearing that context in mind as they evaluate our DAO.

2 Likes

Thank you for the post @amphiboly. I wanted to provide some context on Chainverse and why DXventures may be interested in providing funds to build out a DAO data platform.

Background on Proposal Status

First, @sky, @JohnKelleher, and I have been in contact with @amphiboly regarding a potential DXventures grant to Chainverse. We asked @amphiboly to put up a post on Chainverse to give the DXdao community information on the project before Chainverse pitches during the bizdev call. The point being so that contributors could learn about the project in more detail to facilitate a meaningful discussion in the forum and during the pitch.

It’s great that the conversation has started. However, I take responsibility for any confusion regarding the context of the post in the comments. I should have suggested that @amphiboly also provide this context in the beginning of the post.

My Interest in Chainverse

Since I started about a year ago with DXdao, it has been difficult to obtain good governance and other data metrics on DAOs. @Powers and I (and I’m sure others) have had to manually pull data from DXdao, as well as other DAOs, when reviewing metrics on a variety of issues. For example, while working on the Omen token governance framework, I manually pulled data from DAO voting portals. I’ve also found that DeepDAO does not maintain accurate or useful data.

At some point, contributors discussed how useful it would be to have a source for data on all DAOs, but the source should be an independent project so that the data and any governance scores would be considered unbiased. Community engagement and good governance are huge metrics on a DAO’s success, that can be publicized and used in numerous ways.

Se when @amphiboly approached me regarding Chainverse, which he aptly described as “Bloomberg for DAOs,” I thought it was right up DXdao and DXventures’ alley.

Context on Chainverse Team

@amphiboly has been a part-time contributor with DXdao since May 2021. He has been crucial in conducting on-chain analytics for DXdao’s treasury and REP addresses for DXdao’s blockchain analysis and compliance effort. I asked Jordan to help with with these analytics because he is the product lead for a blockchain analytics firm that specializes in investigative work for AML and compliance issues, which requires massive onchain data review.

Further, when Omen needed data analytics done, the DiamondDAO contributor that is referenced above as having questionable credentials conducted a data pull for Omen without charge. The contributor is currently studying machine learning at Stanford and had indicated his interest in prediction markets, which is why he wanted to do the data pull. The data pull was done quickly and without issue. However, this overall Omen analytics project has been paused as we coordinate around other efforts for Omen.

I’m not personally familiar with the other Chainverse contributors, but I’m excited to learn more about them during the presentation on Monday.

1 Like

Good luck @amphiboly :rocket: This is something the space needs.

2 Likes

Hola,

I think that we should walk you through what we have done in dxvote first and all the data available there, we already collected all the data you need, and we already starting using it showing some grpahs of rep distribution, issuance over time and we even have a governance ranking (work in progress, we still need to decide in the community what algorithm we want to use for the governance score), but thats already done and we plan to add more graphs and cool dao analytics over it.

As a dxdao member and worker I wont trust someome that didnt took the time to present this in our developer calls or talk with the developers of dxdao about this initiative (that has very hard technical problems to solve) with 60k usd.

Also I dont think it is a good use of DXdao funds to support something that we already have been working on and put energy into it, and give that amount of funds to external technical contributors that didnt presented themselves into our developer community.

@amphiboly it would be good to see you in our future developer calls to dive more into this, see what you can do that we cannot do in the dxvote and compare how much it will cost to do it ourselves (which is our plan in dxvote) with how much will cost to go with the diamond DAO option.

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback @AugustoL

I think there’s a bit of misconception here. I understand that DXvote covers certain voting metrics. I am in the gov_dev channel, I’ve visited the platform the team has set up to experiment, and gone through the Github. However, the product we are building goes beyond tracking voting metrics. We are building a product to track a bunch of different categories of metrics – decentralization, engagement, growth, contributor earnings, member commitment, connectivity, atmosphere & vibes, and more.

Some of the data available to calculate these metrics is available on-chain and relates to proposals & token holding. Much of it doesn’t – we are going to manually collect data and pull data from Discord, Twitter, forums, and other sources & synthesize that data to generate metrics across the categories above.

The idea wouldn’t be to replace DXvote, the idea would be to include metrics that are captured by DXvote as part of a broader offering to track & improve community health.

As a dxdao member and worker I wont trust someome that didnt took the time to present this in our developer calls or talk with the developers of dxdao about this initiative (that has very hard technical problems to solve) with 60k usd.

Also I dont think it is a good use of DXdao funds to support something that we already have been working on and put energy into it, and give that amount of funds to external technical contributors that didnt presented themselves into our developer community.

@amphiboly it would be good to see you in our future developer calls to dive more into this, see what you can do that we cannot do in the dxvote and compare how much it will cost to do it ourselves (which is our plan in dxvote) with how much will cost to go with the diamond DAO option.

Once again, for context, I am not proposing that we build a solution to replace DXvote. We are requesting a grant to support our product more generally; if we received the grant, we could make sure that product we are building for DAOs more generally will also be useful for DXdao, and that people who use our product can develop an accurate assessment of DXdao.

3 Likes

Hey @amphiboly

Thanks for making the proposal, its seems really interesting.
I got a few questions:

• Have you guys do a competitive analysis? Are there any other companies doing similar things? what are you guys doing different from the data / output perspective.
  • DeepDAO is out there and wondering how do you see yourself in relation to them
  • What are some use cases you see for or maybe specifically for DXdao (beyond just showing the data)?

Thanks!

3 Likes