Draft Proposal - DxDao Hackathon and Retreat

In the context of the DevCon to be done in Bogota, DxDAO wants to take advantage of this gathering and have its first Hackathon previous to the event. DxDAO also wants to do a retreat with the core team after the event.

Both Hackathon and Retreat will be organized and facilitated by www.lateral.la in Bogota, Colombia. Hackaton will be a three day non-stop hackathon on venue for 200 people (150-170 hackers + dxdao + volunteers).. Retreat will be a three day event, with spaces for connection, co-creation, distribution of knowledge and personal/mutual learning.

Here you can read the full proposal. This is the video and resume to the call where the proposal has been presented.

To start research of locations and execute feasibility study, Lateral requires the non refundable payment of 50% of the “Event Organization and Design” fee.

6 Likes

Hola, I am the one who started this initiative of the hackathon, I organized a hackathon before devcon in the past for my previous company and It was an awesome experience, in my opinion the best time for organizing these technical events is right before Devcon, since Devcon is the best technical event in the Ethereum community and every developer and community member wants to go there, is not like creating your own hackathon in a random city and expect everyone to go there just for that event, technical people who is building Ethereum are planning to go to Colombia already and we can take advantage of it.

Here are a some notes that I wrote about the hackathon:

Full doc here: DXHackathon #0 - HackMD

DXHackathon #0

Oct 7-9 Bogota, Colombia

• Three day non-stop event on venue for 200 people (150-170 hackers + dxdao + volunteers).
  • Hackers are priority #0 . Once inside the haking space the hackers should have everything they need to buidl, this means that they will have good wifi, food, drinks, energy drinks, coffe, thootbrush, deodorant, whiteboards a place to rest and chill, and anything that dxdao can provide them to make sure they have a confortable stay and can hack at their maximum potential.
  • Tech talks on the first day . two talks slot to dxdao and one for each co organizer.
  • NO SPOSNSORS, no pay to appear, co-organizers helps on the organization of the event and collaborate in-person with volunteers and mentors.
  • Focused on DEFI and DAOs , dxdao and co-organizers will announce a series of bounties to help the hackers find good ideas a clear problem to hack but most of teh prizes would be allocated to projects choosen by the judges.
  • The judging process would take place the last day, they hackers would have 8 hours to present to the judges themselves in person an would be given 10 min to show their project.
  • The winners would be announce and presented at the after party the last day of the event.
  • The prize money would be sent directly to the winners in the after party right after they are announced.
  • The hackers would be selected by dxdao technical members , each dxdao member would be able to choose between 5-10 applicants.
  • Co-organizers, two-three sposts for a 20k? usd spot to appear as co-organizer of the event, image displayed right next to dxdao, tech talk thr first day, present bounties and be part of the judging process. gnosis(defi) and who else? maybe pokt(infrastructure) and openzeppelin(contracts)?
  • Two groups of four judges would be present for 8 hours (4 hrs per group) to receive the projects applications and presentation in public.
  • Lateral - Acompañamos transformaciones organizacionales hired as internal organizers, look for venue, food, music, internet, etc. (~10-15k USD).

An important question that was asked about the hackathon is how much would it cost?

We dont know yet, we will get an estimate once we pay Lateral to start the research of the hackathon location, catering options, wifi, etc.
I think we should be prepared to make a big investment here, yes, this is an investment, not an expense, with the goal of:

• Increase our exposure to developers and ethereum technical community and show them what dxdao is building and our mission.
  • Help building defi/dao products and applications, offer a place for them to be integrated in dxdao, support them financially and invest in them.
  • Have a big presence in devcon, show what we have been doing this past two years, our story and were we are going, show that we are an open and public dao, where everyone is welcome and we are here to stay.

All this of course would be discussed in the governance calls, so I guess if you want to follow up the dxdao hackathon development you can join there.

For now if there is no objection to Lateral proposals I would be submitting it on Monday on gnosis chain.

5 Likes

deodorants

:joy:

I have a few questions about this proposal:

1. Do you have a general idea of the total cost of this?. I don’t expect you to be accurate this early but a ballpark figure would be useful to set expectations before we hand 10 - 15k dollars to Lateral to execute a full feasibility study and allow us to set a hard budget for this.
  2. If this may turn out to be a large investment, what would be its ROI? How are we quantifying this?, (e.g X% increase in further swapr fees). How are we measuring the success of this project?
  3. Do we have the capacity to further invest in and support successful hacks and convert them into full-on projects?
  4. have you already contacted these orgs that you have mentioned to act as co-organisers?
1 Like
  1. Do you have a general idea of the total cost of this?. I don’t expect you to be accurate this early but a ballpark figure would be useful to set expectations before we hand 10 - 15k dollars to Lateral to execute a full feasibility study and allow us to set a hard budget for this.

The proposal is to pay half of the “Event Organization and Design” item, it would be 2500 USD to figure out this.

1. If this may turn out to be a large investment, what would be its ROI? How are we quantifying this?, (e.g X% increase in further swapr fees). How are we measuring the success of this project?

I guess that will be done internally once it finish, if you want numbers, you cant measure how many people would knwo more about dxdao after the hakathon, in term of derivables I think is a unrealistic talk about that for now or throw numbers, what I would expect is to see more developers looking to join dxdao after the event and new projects/products being introduced into dxdao.

Do we have the capacity to further invest in and support successful hacks and convert them into full-on projects?

Yes, we have a lot of money.

have you already contacted these orgs that you have mentioned to act as co-organisers?

Nope, but we have a very good relation with them.

1 Like

@Tommy shared with me the address to receive the payment, 0x6b82694f6b9254da8cDB11bE621F30e04dAb0Fd2

Sharing it here for transparency.

2 Likes

It can be found in the full proposal as well.

2 Likes

Can we get a wider breakdown of costs for this, full costs in addition to what’s already included in Lateral’s proposal?

For example how many DxDao team members will be going to Bogota for Devcon, and will that number increase if we’re running a hackathon prior to it? I would expect it would. And contributors who are already attending Devcon would be staying for a longer period, so we need to account for additional costs for accommodation, stipends etc.

At a rough guess I would think these costs (accommodation, stipends, and travel for those that wouldn’t have otherwise been attending Devcon) would probably match the costs in the proposal.

2 Likes

Once lateral does the research on this we will have a good estimate of the costs related to the hackathon and retreat.

This proposal is for hakathon and retreat, only that not for dxdao member expenses during the stay in Colombia.

I think a close number is 1000-2000 usd + flight per person. Maybe more.

And we dont know yet how many people from dxdao will attend, I think most of us, which would be around 20.

2 Likes

I share some of the same questions that @levotiate and @0xSpicySoup raised.

But answering those questions require more work, and this proposal, which has been staked on and will boost in 17 hours, is an initial payment of $2500 to explore the possibilities further.

The expectation is that this will give a cost estimate to put on the conference and retreat in Bogota. There also needs to be an entity or someone on the ground to pay local vendors (Lateral cannot do this). Once this information has been gathered, then a more informed decision can be made.

Separately, I’m working with a few others on an update to the expenses incurred at events for DXdao over the last year.

Additionally, as I voiced on the Governance discussion two weeks ago, I think the marketing costs of a hackathon of this size may be underestimated. DXvoice does not have much excess capacity and do think a hackathon of ~150 will require a significant amount of marketing firepower.

4 Likes