DAOstack's viability for brick-and-mortar applications + SMEs

Q.) In our community Telegram it was asked by J S: "Can we imagine to bluid [sic] a real world organisation with DAO stack like restaurant ?"

A.) Answered by @Pat [DAOstack Community Manager]:

Hey J S – good question. It is possible, yes, that a single restaurant could benefit from collective decision making. We would call these types of implementations “smart companies.” However, the benefits might not be worthwhile to implement DAOstack at such a small scale (a single firm). DAOstack is better geared towards larger organizations, that need to solve the challenge of governance-at-scale. Overall, the answer to your question is YES: brick-and-mortar organizations can be built on DAOstack.

Q.) In our community Telegram it was asked by Ronald Van den Hoff: "Matan, can it also be used by SME’s…?"

A.) Answered by @matan [DAOstack Architect]:

The real benefit for SMEs from being deployed on the DAO stack would be the connection to the larger ecosystem of coooperation, and the possibility to involve in them a larger network of contributors, investors, auditors, freelancers, etc. In that sense, the entire DAOstack ecosystem is a one big DAO, and small and medium enterpreises would benefit being part of it.

I would say that the right parameter for “benefit” from DAOstack is not just about size but also about opennens. If your’e open it means you can involve a larger crowd within your operation, and that’s the main advantage.

Discussion prompts:

1. What sorts of brick-and-mortar organizations do you see working best with DAOstack?
  2. What types of smart businesses could DAOstack help provide scaling solutions for?
1 Like

Holy sh*t, CSAs could do wonders with DAOstack
http://www.justfood.org/csa
Although CSA can follow a multitude of paths, they usually have or partner with a brick and mortar place.

1 Like

This thread has been updated to include @matan’s recent Telegram response about DAOstack and SMEs.

I don’t see why DAOstack can’t work for smaller organizations as well? Or why it shouldn’t. I guess it’s up to the community to optimize it for smaller case solutions.

I can see that potentially restaurants that operate as cooperatives (which there are quite a few) can use a collective decision-making tool.

In the future, I guess a lot of restaurants you would be able to order from an iPad or a tablet that’s integrated into your table somehow. The patrons can send comments about their meal straight away. The people that work at the restaurant can then filter the reviews in a more accurate way. There is clear proof these people did eat there! They can then perform collective decisions on updating the recipe or removing menu items.

3 Likes