DAO discussion on FestDAO funding request proposal: Accountability, KPI setting and discussion

Hey Yo Genesis!
Would love to get more feedback from members on this DAOfest funding proposal, lots of discussions in the comment section.

https://alchemy.daostack.io/dao/0x294f999356ed03347c7a23bcbcf8d33fa41dc830/proposal/0x7f93f316001f4cc13e5ff2dfdc7bf36667c0e155fe0a22f1119a207cfe821f11

Beyond the excession from the Ecosystem budget as outlined by @shivgupt there are other issues I talk about

I love what the FestDAO community are doing and this first truly ‘tabgible’ value proposition of a DAO, doubt any company in the crypto space can organize 8 worldwide meetups in 1 month (!!!).
That being said I feel like there is lack of accountability, debriefing, and delibirate learning from these events. This is why I voted no.

In my opinion when Genesis gives out funds for DAO experiments it’s expected to get something in return. This can be in the form of members, valuable lessons, critical feedback, and many other things.
There needs to be goals and KPIs, learning and lessons between iterations, and evaluations and improvements at the end of each such cycle.

I think this is a part of a bigger issue related to accountability, goal setting, and interaction with decentralized organizations which do not have what you’d call a bad cop. traditionally, at least in my previous jobs, this was the CFO.

In the case here, since there was no KPI (at all?) related to Genesis, There was no benefit to Genesis. Specifically here I believe this could be executed if articulated. for example 5% of DAOfest Attendees attend Genesis DAO calls.

I would like to see an extended section about what did we learn from the first two funding rounds? What did we learn from general event making? what can be done better? Where did we go wrong? what do we need to improve?

I see that Daniel started a learning thread for DAOfest (DAOfest reporting thread), I think this should be filled with each event and summarized before applying for a second round of funding.

My goal with this is first to help with managing and goal setting for the FestDAO, and second, to brainstorm and figure out practices and reporting methods for DAO experimention.

If you experiment without knowing what you are testing, the experiment is always successful.
And to quote my homie Eric Ries: “if you cannot fail, you cannot learn.”

@Luuk:
We have a post-event form that collects all data and learnings from the events - right now we’re integrating all learnings into the first version of the Host Guidebook and test it in the coming week with a new member based in Mexico.
you’re free to play bad cop, but at this point it seems conterproductive to try to poke holes into small projects that are clearly on the right track. FestDAO is part of the GEN ecosystem, promoting DAOstack, Genesis and Alchemy every single day and getting key community managers involved into the space.

Please feel free to lead by example and provide a clear KPI / Accountabillity sheet from Dhack based on the KPI’s you suggested to us.
Happy to provide the same if there’s a template, but right now we need to focus our energy on finishing the initial documents and alligning the community so we can attract the first partners. We’re already chatting with some big names.

Hey @Luuk I think this issue is critical, and I believe indicates a serious problem if you see this as personal.
Rather than poking holes I’m actually trying to help with goals, focus, and direction. I believe this entire ordeal is a 30 min brainstorming session to kick-off a few tangible KPIs and following Daniel’s DAOtalk post format to summarize events. This extreme pushback to accountability is worrisome in my opinion.

If you didn’t set goals to promote Alchemy/DAOstack/Genesis how will you actually do it?

I’m super happy to help with this and I already gave a few examples of KPIs that I think are simple and achievable. It’s perfectly normal that you didn’t set these goals ahead the first time, but now is the time to improve.

Regarding your questions about KPIs and lessons, this is the DAOtalk post
Haven’t digested the ETHWaterloo summary yet to a DAOtalk but here is the ppt summary

I have learnt that dHack KPis are more related to usability and user journeys, and so are the lessons made from these events which result mostly in Alchemy UI/UX improvements and user onboarding guides, while improving the product itself (using the current voting machine to find the best proposals is not very good)

I’ll try to make it to the Thursday community call.