Case Studies: Decentralized Orgs with On-chain Governance

For a long time, I wanted to create some overview on the existent case studies of orgs/networks with on-chain governance. E.g. the list of first DAOs and summary of how different approaches work. Here’re my early drafts on this: https://dao-landscape.gitbook.io/project/resources/on-chain-governance-case-studies

By on-chain governance, I mean the ability to change the protocol based on the on-chain events. But I don’t mean that everything should be managed through the chain, meaning combination with off-chain is ok as well.

Would like to get your feedback on

• How relevant can be such work? Should it be more broad (e.g. include Bitcoin as first DAO, as some believe), or more specific to the tools / needs (e.g. on-chain fund distribution case studies)?
  • How does the current list represents the on-chain governance (what should be added/edited)
  • What information can be helpful? E.g. purpose of DAO, used mechanics (e.g. funds distribution), brief history etc.
  • Who could help with writing this? :wink:
5 Likes

Some opinions:

(1) It should be more specific to the tools / needs of emerging communities. But more specifically, it should create an updated taxonomy of DAO and dOrg structures, and focus on specific categories of that taxonomy. Vitalik took a crack at formalization in 2014 but it’s vastly dated.

(2) Decred and DASH are both missing – and they seem relevant here. Should there be a section as well for association-based governance (Aragon, Melonport, 0x Protocol?)

(3) Legal framework is the biggest thing that comes to mind, in addition to what you’re described. There’s a desperate need to aggregate our legal understanding between different projects and build a framework. COALA could play a role here, among other orgs.

(4) Reach out to Grace Rachmony and Pedro Parrachia.

3 Likes

interested…, please add a benchmark of people tryng to do the same classification work as yours for completeness. Is there any academic reserach on the topic to be noted?

2 Likes

Hi Luther, there’s no comprehensive description if governance systems I’m aware of. All i’ve gone through are single project governance descriptions usually done by the project itself and maybe some bitcoin vs ethereum debate. Please see the draft – there’s a bunch of links and if we find more – i’ll list them there too.

1 Like

I put together a proposed framework and budget for doing this research project. I’m not sure I’m the right person to do all of the work, or that the budget is right. I’m looking for feedback on the proposal at this time, as well as collaborators who might want to work with me on this.

4 Likes

Thx for the proposal, Grace.

1 Like

link is broken.
where is it?

Yeap, sorry, we recently moved it under https://dao-landscape.gitbook.io/project/resources/on-chain-governance-case-studies – a separate research repo