Caney Fork Worker Proposal Dec '21 & Jan '22

Below is a scope of work to be done from December 1, 2021 - January 31st, 2022 for Caney Fork LLC. I am powers_chris on keybase & telegram, Powers on the forum and Discord and “Chris” on calls. “Powers” also completely acceptable :-x. See Caney Fork Worker Recap (October & November) for reflections on the past worker proposal.

The proposed scope of work covers the following squads:

• Governance 50%
  • DXvoice 30%
  • Contributor UX 10%
  • Ecosystem development and security 10%

This period also covers the holiday season here in the U.S. as well as the end of my partner’s maternity leave, so I will be taking some extra time, which I also hope will clear my head and make me more productive.

So, starting next week, I will be on “reading period”, which is a time in some American colleges before finals when there are no classes, so you can study & catch up on reading.

From December 20 through January 7, I will be mostly unavailable, doing admin work for Caney Fork, catching up on reading, and relaxing/spending time with family, while maintaining core governance responsibilities. I will be on Wednesdays’ governance discussion for these weeks but otherwise plan to take a break from calls and other commitments. I will still monitor the proposal queue and vote/boost where appropriate (governance never sleeps). I’ll also be available for any dire items, but will default to being off-line, and not checking Keybase every minute.

I estimate that this will be a 10% worker commitment during these days but I will adjust this upon payout depending on the actual time spent.

Going into 2022, I plan to focus more on two areas:

• Holistic analysis of DXdao governance and recommendations. Coming off of the Proposal Taxonomy, I plan to work on efficiency improvements to DXdao governance. Hopefully, this follows similar efforts as the Gov 2.0 working group, the DXD buyback program or the Manifesto. This will play into Gov 2.0 implementation but also ideas/themes on making DXdao governance more efficient and innovating on decentralized governance approaches.
  • More active in furthering DXdao’s place in the broader decentralized governance conversation and sharing Caney Fork’s perspective on this. This started in December with a post on Govern This newsletter on “DAO Sovereignty”. I hope to do one of these a month and also be more active in the broader DAO conversation, continuing off my talk at the DAOist and on Chris Blec podcast.

Further explanation of Caney Fork’s responsibilities and goals:

Governance 50%

• Work with @dlabs to organize weekly governance calls, organized under #Governance tag.
  • Facilitate DXD Buyback Program execution along with @dlabs . Help manage proposal process, track and communicate progress and adjust program in conjunction with community feedback and market conditions
  • Support DXgov team and test/troubleshoot DXvote
  • Form DXD Tokenholders Group to get feedback on DXD liquidity practices
  • Support gov_dev and provide feedback in DXvote testing
  • Work with @KeenanL on proposing a new DXD tokenomics design.
  • Dxdao budget with @dlabs and @allyq
  • Goals and deliverables: $5m in total DXD purchased by Jan 31, forward looking budget by January 25, DXD Token holders post by Jan 31, REP sync forum post by January 15, DXD tokenomics forum post by January 15, 2022.

DXvoice 30%

• Contribute to Month in Review and other DXdao blog posts/articles
  • Explore Chinese and Russian translations for DXvoice content
  • Provide strategic guidance on marketing campaigns, posts, tweets and other content
  • Contribute to DXdao’s public-facing efforts
  • Goals and deliverables: December MIR by 12/5, Governance thought leadership post by Jan 30, translation proposal to DXvoice squad by January 15, 2021

Contributor UX (10%)

• Work on compensation update with @Melanie and Contributor UX squad
  • Attend weekly contributor UX call and provide guidance.
  • Goals and deliverables: New compensation structure passed on-chain by Dec 31, DXD vesting distribution signal proposal by December 23

Ecosystem development and security 10%

• Monitor proposal submissions and other security measures

Logistics and Compensation

• This proposal is intended to cover work in December 2021 and January 2021 at Level 5 in the Worker Compensation Guidelines. If there are any updates to the compensation guidelines that go into effect during the period in this worker proposal, then Caney Fork is entitled to the updated compensation as part of any update, to be paid at whatever level is accepted by REP holders at the next worker proposal.
  • As mentioned previously, this will be at 90% worker commitment as I continue to write the Dose of DeFi newsletter. From December 20 - January 7th, I will be at 10% commitment during my “Reading Period”. With Christmas & New Year’s eve accounted for, this comes out to a 60% worker commitment for December, and for January, a 71% commitment for January.
  • Using a coingecko ATH of $844 and December 1, 2021 as worker proposal start date
  • October
    • ETH/stablecoin compensation $4,800
    • Mainnet REP award (month) 1,696.2
    • Number of DXD vested for 2 years with 1 year cliff 4.27
  • November
    • ETH/stablecoin compensation $5,680
    • Mainnet REP award (month) 2,007
    • Number of DXD vested for 2 years with 1 year cliff 5.05

Screen Shot 2021-12-13 at 8.45.00 PM

Screen Shot 2021-12-13 at 8.45.39 PM

Past Worker proposals

7 Likes

Below is a recap of the work done by Caney Fork in its completed worker proposal from December 1, 2022 to January 31st, 2022. To see Caney Fork’s (late) proposed worker proposal for February/March, click here.

What I did well:

• Governance Q1 Update and Roadmap - this was a presentation I gave on a Friday strategy call that gave a general overview of where we’re going. I think it’s best usecase was as a model for others in preparing their annual reviews.
  • Helped @Melanie and contributor ux squad pass new compensation scheme. I also think I did a good job of providing feedback to others for the contributors reviews as well as the Coordinape notes.
  • DXD Buyback Facilitation along with @fluidDrop. Dave did a great job of managing this through the holidays. I am happy with the consistency of the DXD Trade Volume updates as well as the number of DXD purchases. I also had a forum post in January on Increasing DXD’s on-chain liquidity. This has also been helped by feedback and assistance from DXD holders and the #market-chatter channel
  • Wrote “DAO Sovereignty” for Govern This newsletter. I thought this was a good article that shows what’s unique about DXdao’s governance structure. I also had a great time at the 1Hive Trivia awards and facilitated the DXD rewards

What I did okay

• Expenses - not sure if this should be included in this worker period as I just finished presenting it last Friday, but it’s also why I have not claimed the funds from this worker proposal. I’m happy with the model or system that is now created, but it took way too long. I could have done a better job of including Dave/Ally earlier, but it felt easier to just do it all first myself. We are now working on a more sustainable system.
  • “Reading Period” I did some reading and actually did make major progress on the hardware front (Caney Fork is now a Gnosis Beacon Chain validator!). Still, I felt a little too engaged and think it beneficial to have actual vacation so something distracts your mind.
  • Helped Sky coordinate efforts to increase DXdao’s liquidity in Swapr. The funds were transferred but still working through some issues on liquidity provisioning through the relayer.

What I did not do okay at

• Timing. This is late as is my next proposal. The reason is because I try to finish something before submitting the next one. This motivates me to produce but it’s not a great way for everyone to communicate their work load. I should be more realistic in my original worker proposal
  • There were a lot of deliverable goals that were missed. These were mostly governance strategy/coordination efforts around the DXD token and REP syncing. These are important but require community buy-in and it’s tough to move forward with these while other items are more pressing. I still believe these are big long-term problems that need to be addressed and hope to continue to try and push the conversation forward.

Payments and logistics:

• Total payment in this proposal: $11,190
  • Work period: Dec 1, 2021 - Jan 31, 2021
  • Month 1 (60% work commitment at Level 5 at old compensation structure)
    • $4,800 xDai
    • Number of DXD vested for 2 years with 1 year cliff 4.27 (using Coingecko ATH of $844) on 12/1/2021
  • Month 2 (71% commitment at Level 8 in new compensation structure)
    • $6,390 xDai
    • Number of DXD vested for 3 years with 1 year cliff 12.89 (using avg DXD price of $523) on 1/1/2022
  • No REP requested as CaneyFork.eth has already reached 4% max
3 Likes