All you need to know about Rep (Reputation)

This FAQ format about Rep is what I which I would have known when first joining DAOs running on DAOstack. Rep is at the heart of the DAO, aiming at distributing the voting power fairly & protecting the DAO from any sybil attack.

TL;DR:

• Rep = Credibility + Voting Power + what makes you a DAO member
  • Rep is non-transferable
  • 100% Rep shared by all the DAO members
  • If my Rep goes up, yours go down
  • You get Rep by do one of these actions: vote OR create proposals
  • You get rewarded the most Rep by creating a proposal (only if it passes): approx. 0.60%
  • Voting only rewards you 0.03%
  • One must “redeem” to get the Rep rewarded
  • Anyone can submit a proposal to reduce someone else’s Rep: that’s called “slashing Rep”
  • If you misbehave or you become a Rep whale, then someone might slash your Rep

What is Rep?

• Voting Power = for each vote you do, the weight of the vote is equal to your Rep. For instance, if you’ve got 2.04% Rep then upvoting a proposal means it will bring it up 2.04%

• DAO member = the only criterion that makes you a member of a DAO is the fact that you have some Rep. No Rep means no voting power, means you’re unable to vote or stake.

• Credibility = if you got Rep, it shows your commitment to the DAO & your continuous activity. Think of it as a social incentive, similar to points on Reddit or Stackoverflow.

Does my Rep decrease if I am inactive?

Kind of, yes.

If others are gain Rep, you lose Rep: 100% Rep is shared across the DAO members so if you are inactive for some time (and others are, hence they gain Rep) then your Rep will logically go down.

You can call that “Rep dilution”.

How do I get Rep?

You get Rep by do one of these 2 actions: vote OR create proposal.

How do I get most Rep?

By creating a proposal. There is a default reward of approx. 0.60% Rep when you create a proposal AND it passes. Anything you request in the “create proposal” form is added on top of that.

Proof is that proposal where I requested no reward at all but where I’ve still received 0.57% Rep for creating it. See screenshot:

How much Rep do I get by voting?

Your are rewarded 0.03% Rep for each vote.

Does my Rep get automatically rewarded?

Yes & no. The reward is calculated automatically but an action is required from you once the relevant proposal has ended (passed or failed): redeem.

1. Click on “Redemption” in the left panel

1. Hover one of the stars in the top-right corner of any proposal & click on “Redeem”

What happens to my unredeemed Rep?

Any unredeemed Rep (c.f. above question “Does my Rep get automatically rewarded?”) remains available for redemption forever.

To be clear: there is no time limit for redemption, you can redeem a proposal 1 year after it passed if you want

When creating a proposal, how much Rep should I ask for?

You will want to calculate this according to the effort done & the size of the community. We only have 100% to share across all members, so if we have 50 active members it’ll mean an average of 2% Rep per person. In that case, asking for anything above 0.1% Rep for any task would be asking quite a lot. You’d usually want everyone to build up Rep slowly to “deserve” that 2% Rep.

One important point: as mentioned in the “How do I get most Rep” section, you win approx. 0.6% by default if you create a proposal that passes. So I wouldn’t worry too much about how much additional Rep to ask for. Just make sure you don’t ask too much otherwise others members may not like it (downvote your proposal).

Note that when asking for Rep, you must enter an absolute value (not a relative value, not in %). See the next section on converting Rep from relative to absolute & vice-versa.

How do I convert Rep from relative to absolute?

TL;DR: right now PolkaDAO’s conversion rate 0.01% Rep = 172.4

If you click on “reputation holders” in the left panel, you will then land on the page listing all the members of the DAO.

Once on that page, hover on any member’s Rep % value & you will see a tooltip with the corresponding absolute value.

The rest is simple maths, using Hutch’s numbers above we can figure out PolkaDAO’s conversion rate:

• 1% Rep = 25,000 / 12.04 = 2,076.41
  • 0.1% Rep = 207.64
  • 0.05% Rep = 103.8
  • 0.01% Rep = 20.76

Why do I have to convert Rep from relative to absolute?

Rep is on the blockchain, it’s a non-transferable token & every time someone redeems Rep some new Rep tokens are minted + made available for the relevant user to redeem the Rep, then the user can redeem the Rep for it to go to her/his wallet.

What it means is that to get your Rep in %, you must divide the total amount of Rep present your wallet (for the relevant DAO) by the total amount of Rep ever minted for the relevant DAO.

My guess is that in future versions of the platform, you’ll be able to enter Rep in % when creating a proposal & the underlying process (converting that to absolute value) will be totally transparent to the user.

How is Rep distributed?

Rep is on the blockchain, it’s a non-transferable token & every time someone redeems Rep some new Rep tokens are minted + made available for the relevant user to redeem the Rep, then the user can redeem the Rep for it to go to her/his wallet.

Hence you have an absolute number of Rep, so if you gain Rep then others keep the same absolute amount of Rep but their relative amount (%) decreases.

How do I slash someone’s Rep?

Coming soon…

Recommend readings

2 Likes

I have some questions (so I currently disagree with the title of the post :wink: )
How long do I have to claim my REP before the opportunity “expires”?
Is there any indication that my unclaimed REP will expire?
Can I sell or otherwise transfer my REP to someone else?
How is REP “taken” from me and “given” to someone else when they do something REP-worthy

1 Like

1.) Rep has to be granted through a submitted proposal. If the proposal passes, Rep will be issued.

2.) Rep will never “expire”. It will be diluted as more Rep is created.

3.) Rep is non-transferable, and evidence of off-chain selling of Rep will have consequences.

4.) Rep is diluted, and not taken from you.

1 Like

Thanks for the answers, it’s making more sense now (would be nice if my questions were folded into the original doc for completeness).

Since I have to redeem REP, even though it does not expire and is not automatically pushed onto me when I receive it, a certain amount of REP may at any time, be “hidden” (unclaimed) in the system, waiting for potentially dozens or hundreds of people to claim it. Is there any way to tell how much “active” or “claimed” REP exists at any point in time? It seems that “true REP pool” vs “total REP” will almost always not quite match.

Hi Ivan

Good questions indeed. You seem to already understand the “Rep game” a lot better than most DAOstack users. Maybe I didn’t do such a bad job in my original post :wink:

Addressing your points:

How long do I have to claim my REP before the opportunity “expires”? --> added info in question " What happens to my unredeemed Rep?"

“Is there any indication that my unclaimed REP will expire?” --> added info in same question

“Can I sell or otherwise transfer my REP to someone else?” --> this was in the original post (just search “transferable”

“How is Rep “taken” from me and “given” to someone else when they do something Rep-worthy” --> added details in section “How is Rep distributed?”

Is there any way to tell how much “active” or “claimed” REP exists at any point in time?

As far as I know there is currently no way to tell how much “active” or “claimed” REP exists at any point in time

It seems that “true Rep pool” vs “total Rep” will almost always not quite match

That’s correct.

A general remark regarding the platform: remember that it’s the first platform of its kind (DAO platform having such complex Rep system) so we can only be patient until automatic reward allocation is implemented.

Is there any insight to the possible structure of the automatic reward allocation system being implemented? Can this system be modified by individual DAO’s? Will it be available for use as an option for the initial distribution of rep?

Note that I am not a DAOstack staff nor am I in any way representing the company. I’m “only” a very active user of the platform, hence very informed. So take these answers with a pinch of salt.

Not that I know of. I’m not sure if it’s being implemented right now either. DAOstack has a very long list of feature requests that they collected from their community but I don’t think this “automatic redemption feature” is planned to be implemented anytime soon (I could be wrong).

We cannot know until it gets implemented. It would be nice indeed.

Same answer as for the previous question :slight_smile: