Spreadsheet Link: DXgov Guild Budget v2 - Google Sheets
Budget request length: 6 months (January 1 - June 30 2023)
The document will outline the 6 month budget request for the DXgov Guild consisting of the DXgov squad only. It will document their visions, objectives, and responsibilities, contributor roles and compensation, as well as other pertinent expenses to be reviewed and approved by the DAO as a whole.
Networks: Ethereum, Gnosis Chain
Platform: DAVI Soulbound
Guild governance members:
- Cannot earn additional governance power past 30%
- One month of full-time contributions to Operations guild earns 1% of soulbound governance power in the Operations Guild (rounded down value of what 1 month represents in the initial distribution)
- Need 2% to submit a proposal
- Initial distribution based on time in DXgov which was founded in Sep/21
- Monthly rep distribution will be done in one proposal to eliminate gaming the system by delaying rep mints
Vision and Mission
DXgov is responsible for the development and maintenance of DXdao’s governance platforms and products. Originally this only meant building and improving DXdao’s own governance, however it has since evolved into a product for others after receiving feedback and demand for our take on governance.
The current contracts; guilds and gov 1.5 (the forked governance architecture from daostack) make up the majority of the smart contract work.
We are building Project DAVI as an interface and product that supports both of the systems mentioned above in a flexible front end aimed at improving the UX of autonomous on-chain DAOs like ourselves.
DXdao’s restructuring and discussions at the 2022 retreat set out a new vision for DXdao: “Enable community freedom” this has also impacted DAVI’s place in DXdao and scope of work. We had already been exploring more advanced features beyond simple governance such as integrating a social layer tightly coupled to governance decisions and discussion. However, this vision and direction also identified DAVI as a more core interface to bring communities more power and access to our ecosystem.
The priority for this period remains on core DXdao governance work but will also begin further exploring how DAVI fits into what DXdao is building and how we can enable community freedom.
Overall Guild Milestones and goals
Governance 1.5 supported by DAVI (DXdao able to begin the transition to new contracts)
Rich contracts 2.0 - New UX for proposal decoding and encoding
Social MVP complete
Governance 2.0 Voting machine complete and off to audit
DAVI ready to support the upgrade from 1.5→2.0
Social v1 complete
Longer term goals
The idea identified in phase 2 of restructuring with DAVI being the central interface to the DXdao ecosystem. This would require UX improvements that give DAVI DAOs features not found in any other DAO interface (DAO-DAO voting, social integration, non-technical governance, accessible autonomy, etc). However, the ecosystem aspect would require a lot more features to be developed with far more integrations between squads. And since this UX would be core to the DXdao ecosystem and other products would be dependent on DAVI onboarding DAOs (users) and giving those DAOs good support, more resources would be required. The scope of the application would increase as DAVI would become not just the main way DAOs operate but the main way to use DXdao’s products.
The ecosystem approach has been identified as the direction of DXdao in the phase 2 proposal but details are yet to be decided. To build DAVI into what it will be beyond just DXdao close collaboration between all squads will be essential. The first steps will be to scope out features, and integrations, build a wireframe of DAVI in this role and analyse the feasibility of this product direction.
This proposal approves the following future expenses as summarized below and further detailed in the accompanying spreadsheet
Edit1: Added ethernal development tool for $20 /month
Edit2: Added designer after discussing with Voice squad (Boris - 50%) and deciding the DXgov budget is the correct place for the cost. Also updated accuracy of stipend calculations and added gas costs as a contingency for deployments.
- “Development contractors” under “other costs” is a budget specifically for features which are more efficiently implemented by outside resources, an example would be parallax developing our orbis social integration. It is also the intent of DXgov to have standing bounties for specific standalone features which would benefit DXgov and DAVI greatly but are not currently prioritised for contributor resources.
- For the budgets generally, QA has been planned as a separate resource and so was included under “other costs”
- Level increases were included under “other costs” as contingencies which would be posted publically in the DXdao general forum for comment and approval
And a comparison to a year ago for these same squads:
Objective: Improve DXdao’s governance system
KR1: Governance 2.0 contracts should be implemented with full tests
KR2: Governance 2.0 contracts should be sent away for audit
Objective: Support multiple governance systems in DAVI
KR1: Have a Gov >1.5 (forked daostack architecture) DAO working in DAVI production
(The distinction of 1.5 and 2.0 is small in terms of the UI and will depend on the operational speed of supporting 2.0)
KR2: Explore, publish research and if decided important begin support for more governance systems in DAVI
Objective: Bring external communities into DAVI
KR1: Onboard at least 1 external communities onto DAVI
KR2: Write and maintain non-technical documentation
KR3: Release a DAO launcher UI in DAVI
Objective: Provide the best DAO UX in the space
KR1: Implement v2 of rich contract data (a key UX system in DAVI)
KR2: Integrate the social aspect of governance (currently a forum) inside DAVI
KR3: Conduct user surveys that aim to answer whether non-technical users can utilise autonomy in DAVI DAOs
Objective: Support DXdao ecosystem
KR1: Identify, communicate and work with other development guilds on potential integrations with DAVI
KR2: Support at least one integration to another DXdao product (action in DAVI proposal builder)
KR3: DAVI should be used by DXdao contributors almost daily as their main governance interface
(partially dependent on operational speed of moving main DXdao DAO to new contracts)
- Supporting DAVI
- Maintaining operatable DXvote until it is no longer in use
- Educating about DAVI and governance systems
- Facilitating discussions on DAVI integrations
- Deploying new guilds and DAO contracts
- Regularly releasing new stable versions of DAVI
- Alongside other squads, help plan what DAVI will look like inside the DXdao ecosystem as a key interface
Individual contributor lists, contributor level information per approved guidelines, and time commitment as a percentage of full time.
|Contributor||Level||Time Commitment||Description of Role|
|Ross||Level 6||40 hrs/week||Lead, DAVI architecture and occasional dev|
|Augusto||Level 8||10 hrs/week for first 3 months||Smart contract lead|
|Madusha||Level 5||40 hrs/week||DAVI architecture and dev|
|Milton||Level 5||40 hrs/week||DAVI and smart contract developer|
|Kenny||Level 4||32-40 hrs/week||DAVI dev and leads retro sessions|
|Dino||Level 3||40 hrs/week||DAVI dev|
|Tomas||Level 2||30 hrs/week||DAVI dev|